High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   HD DVD Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-software-general-discussion-9/)
-   -   'Lost City' - High-Def Digest review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-software-general-discussion/11581-lost-city-high-def-digest-review.html)

jed 07-11-2007 12:47 AM

'Lost City' - High-Def Digest review

Peter's review of 'Lost City' is up. Andy Garcia's directorial debut, Peter says this one has good intentions but flounders due to a overly-talky script and precious little in the way of genuine drama. On the bright side, this is a very fine HD DVD release, with strong video and audio, plus a wealth of exclusive high-def extras.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/lostcity.html

Blurry 07-11-2007 01:46 AM

A lot of good actors in this (that alone tempts me), but it doesn't sound like it delivered the performance. Glad to hear it has great pq.

Spideybat 07-11-2007 03:25 AM

I have heard nothing positive about this movie. Too bad.

nelll 07-11-2007 09:29 AM

I do not agree with this review. The movie is very good. Andy Garcia is superb and the drama of the movie is very good. (IMO) but hey everything is not about American Cowboys.:rolleyes:

Cochise 07-11-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spideybat (Post 195312)
I have heard nothing positive about this movie. Too bad.

I liked it. :)

I had my own little "Magnolia High Def Film Festival" last weekend. The Magnolia HD movies never seem to get much attention or publicity. As Peter notes in this review - The Lost City was released in early May, it's just now getting reviewed, and most folks have never heard of it.

While I was just going to rent, I managed to pick up (new, sealed) HD DVD copies of "The Lost City" and "Bubble" off eBay for just over $10, so went for a purchase. I rented "One Last Thing" from Netflix, altho they only had the BD version.

While not a gripping drama it could have been, The Lost City is an interesting watch for really different performance from Dustin Hoffman and Bill Murray. There's some excellent cinematography of tropical landscapes & city architecture - although for obvious reason the movie was filmed in the Dominican Republic and not Cuba - and some excellent showcasing of Caribbean Dance & Music. And I thought there were two interesting aspects :
1- Batista - the Dictator Castro overthrew - is shown as a real slimeball.
2- You never see actually see a facial shot of the actor playing Castro. I don't know if they couldn't find an actor who looks much like him (unlikely), or just didn't want to inflame the memories of Cuban exiles (my guess).

I recommend The Lost City as at least a rental - it is a very good high def transfer.

"The Bubble" is really . . . "different". One of six "low budget" films Steven Soderbergh agreed to do for Magnolia, "Bubble" was filmed on HD video using non-professional actors. I'll give the IMDB plot summary: "Set against the backdrop of a decaying Midwestern town, a murder becomes the focal point of three people who work in a doll factory."
It's certainly no Ocean's 11 drama, but the combined style of HD Video and non-professional actors makes you feel like you're a part of the movie and the events are unfolding around you. Try it as a rental.

I did try "One Last Thing" as a rental as I knew a movie with a plot of a teenager dying of cancer makes a last wish to spend one night with a beautiful model he idolizes was going to be a "have a box of tissues handy" kind of movie. :p
But actually very well done, a lot of very funny scenes to counter the downer main plot, and the main actor playing the dying kid - Michael Angarano - is one terrific actor.

I hope we see a lot more HD releases from Magnolia. :)

Spideybat 07-11-2007 01:35 PM

Well, I guess I now have heard some positive things. nelll, what's up with the American Cowboys remark?

nelll 07-11-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CochiseGuy (Post 195794)
I liked it. :)

I had my own little "Magnolia High Def Film Festival" last weekend. The Magnolia HD movies never seem to get much attention or publicity. As Peter notes in this review - The Lost City was released in early May, it's just now getting reviewed, and most folks have never heard of it.

While I was just going to rent, I managed to pick up (new, sealed) HD DVD copies of "The Lost City" and "Bubble" off eBay for just over $10, so went for a purchase. I rented "One Last Thing" from Netflix, altho they only had the BD version.

While not a gripping drama it could have been, The Lost City is an interesting watch for really different performance from Dustin Hoffman and Bill Murray. There's some excellent cinematography of tropical landscapes & city architecture - although for obvious reason the movie was filmed in the Dominican Republic and not Cuba - and some excellent showcasing of Caribbean Dance & Music. And I thought there were two interesting aspects :
1- Batista - the Dictator Castro overthrew - is shown as a real slimeball.
2- You never see actually see a facial shot of the actor playing Castro. I don't know if they couldn't find an actor who looks much like him (unlikely), or just didn't want to inflame the memories of Cuban exiles (my guess).

I recommend The Lost City as at least a rental - it is a very good high def transfer.

"The Bubble" is really . . . "different". One of six "low budget" films Steven Soderbergh agreed to do for Magnolia, "Bubble" was filmed on HD video using non-professional actors. I'll give the IMDB plot summary: "Set against the backdrop of a decaying Midwestern town, a murder becomes the focal point of three people who work in a doll factory."
It's certainly no Ocean's 11 drama, but the combined style of HD Video and non-professional actors makes you feel like you're a part of the movie and the events are unfolding around you. Try it as a rental.

I did try "One Last Thing" as a rental as I knew a movie with a plot of a teenager dying of cancer makes a last wish to spend one night with a beautiful model he idolizes was going to be a "have a box of tissues handy" kind of movie. :p
But actually very well done, a lot of very funny scenes to counter the downer main plot, and the main actor playing the dying kid - Michael Angarano - is one terrific actor.

I hope we see a lot more HD releases from Magnolia. :)

You did your homework dude. My respects.;) How I was going to think that you knew about some Cuban History. A+ for you.:D

nelll 07-11-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spideybat (Post 195804)
Well, I guess I now have heard some positive things. nelll, what's up with the American Cowboys remark?

I was being sarcastic with the reviewer. This movie is a wonderful Film.
CochiseGuy's post is a must read.;)

kannisto 07-11-2007 03:58 PM

I just put in my order for this at Amazon.com, the trailer for this included on District B13 made it look very interesting and positive comments here convinced me :)

Guns4Hire 03-05-2008 06:31 PM

Old thread. But I wanted to say I very much enjoyed this movie. And I think its been overlooked by a lot of ppl.