Is Full Metal Jacket really that bad? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Special Member

messin from what I hear the HD-DVD accurately represents the Master it was taken from.....THis movie is by no means demo material, but from what I hear (I still havent had a chance to view my copy) it is above the DVD release of this film....I did read rumors though that there were going to be releasing Kubrick films at the end of the year (jsut rumors though and I dont remember seeing anything solid)......My vote is for you to keep it for the movie as it is one of the TOP Vietnam era movie out there (IMO)......
Old 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
messin from what I hear the HD-DVD accurately represents the Master it was taken from.....THis movie is by no means demo material, but from what I hear (I still havent had a chance to view my copy) it is above the DVD release of this film....I did read rumors though that there were going to be releasing Kubrick films at the end of the year (jsut rumors though and I dont remember seeing anything solid)......My vote is for you to keep it for the movie as it is one of the TOP Vietnam era movie out there (IMO)......
I paid $24 for it.. since it's on half.com for $10 i'm going to return it but order from half.com.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
What about the Hd quality?
It's the best available for this great film, plus it's the first time ever released anamorphic.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Banned

I have the HDDVD, there is nothing wrong with it, it's an accurate representation of the original master. The only way it will look any better is with an expensive restoration. So barring that this is as good as the film will ever look. The same can be said about Army of Darkness, I love that HDDVD, cause the film has never looked better IMO. And Not every film will get the resoration treatment. Personally, I'm against restoration, with the exception of cleaning dirt and spots off the picture. Why artificially sharpen and pump up an image so you can get a prettier picture in HD? I want the original picture.

there is a big difference from AoD and Full Metal Jacket being "poor" visually on HDDVD and something like Fifth Element being poor on BD (not to mention 5th element was demo material on SDDVD).

highdef isn't "magic", whatever the film looks like is what it's gonna look like magnified.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-1 View Post
Personally, I'm against restoration, with the exception of cleaning dirt and spots off the picture. Why artificially sharpen and pump up an image so you can get a prettier picture in HD? I want the original picture.
What about color fading and sound deterioration? Just curious. I am all for keeping films as they were intended to be seen. My hat's off to the Film Preservation Society.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideybat View Post
What about color fading and sound deterioration? Just curious. I am all for keeping films as they were intended to be seen. My hat's off to the Film Preservation Society.
Sound is fine, as long as they don't outright make different or new effects (Starwars....). Color fading is okay too, but that's a grey area cause sometimes they pump up the color way too much.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-1 View Post
Sound is fine, as long as they don't outright make different or new effects (Starwars....). Color fading is okay too, but that's a grey area cause sometimes they pump up the color way too much.
Star Wars was a total alteration. Martin Scorceses, Steven Spielberg and others did wonders with several films that were litterally rotting including Lawrence Of Arabia, Rebel Without A Cause, and so many more. It's just my opinion that classics should not be aloud to go to waste. Degradation of any movie (except Showgirls ) is completely unacceptable, IF done properly. Sorry I got off topic.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Star Wars was a total alteration. Martin Scorceses, Steven Spielberg and others did wonders with several films that were litterally rotting including Lawrence Of Arabia, Rebel Without A Cause, and so many more. It's just my opinion that classics should not be aloud to go to waste. Degradation of any movie (except Showgirls ) is completely unacceptable, IF done properly. Sorry I got off topic.
Have you seen thx by lucas? The update he did does wonders for the movie imo.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Great thread. bout time. I've always been blown away by the criticism of this HD-DVD. This version blows the SD version out of the water, plus its finally in the correct aspect ratio. The SD version was a pathetic joke. On this merit alone I would consider this disc a must purchase. I also am convinced that what it looks like on LCD or Plasma must look a lot different than on a good CRT. It looks very good on my set. Now I would never pretend to think that it might not be possible to improve this release, but this disc is nowhere close to being like "Fifth Element" Full Metal looks FAR better than that release IMO. Bottom Line: Have no idea why so many negative things have been written about this title.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
saving rotting film is always good. i just think it it ain't broke don't fix it.

kind of like in entourage when the studio "aquamanized" queens boulevard.