bye bye T2 and other french imports.... - Page 7 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
There site now says "IN STOCK BY MAY 31. PRE-ORDER NOW AND YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED UNTIL YOUR ORDER SHIPS. ALL DVDS ORDERED ALONG WITH THIS PRE-ORDER WILL SHIP ONCE THIS IS IN STOCK"

Which is inline with the expected May 21st release date, Xploited needs to get their stock from France (and I don't think they buy directly from the distributor, so they probably even have to wait for the release date even for the items to be shipped to them).
Old 04-07-2007, 03:47 AM

I just ordered total recall and T2 from amazon france... put picked the cheaper shipping so i have to wait for T2 before i get total recall
Old 04-07-2007, 03:53 AM

No, I made the exact same order and received Total Recall well in advance. They will send the movie on a different shipment but the same price.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 04-07-2007, 01:38 PM

I got my "Studio Canal" Total Recall from Australia via Axelmusic in Denmark. Very nice. Don't see why it wouldn't be shipping in Europe yet.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
I got my "Studio Canal" Total Recall from Australia via Axelmusic in Denmark. Very nice. Don't see why it wouldn't be shipping in Europe yet.
"Total Recall" and a number of other titles have been shipping in Europe for a while. Only the latest Canal+ wave has been delayed including Terminator 2 and Mulholland Drive and some nice other titles.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:18 PM

The Australian releases of the Studio Canal HD DVD transfers can be bought from Ezy DVD and DVD Crave (got my TR and Rambo discs from DVD Crave).

With regards to T2, this site provides specs on the upcoming (May 21st) Studio Canal HD DVD release. It's a two-disc release with the Theatrical cut on the first and the Director's cut on the second disc; both with DTS-HD MA 5.1 English tracks

EDIT: The "Sous-titres: Français, Néerlandais, Aucun" indicates that there will be no forced subtitles on this release.

Last edited by AES256; 04-08-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES256 View Post
With regards to T2, this site provides specs on the upcoming (May 21st) Studio Canal HD DVD release. It's a two-disc release with the Theatrical cut on the first and the Director's cut on the second disc; both with DTS-HD MA 5.1 English tracks
Ooh, that's cool. I had not know about these additional bonuses. That makes this even cooler to get.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES256 View Post
The Australian releases of the Studio Canal HD DVD transfers can be bought from Ezy DVD and DVD Crave (got my TR and Rambo discs from DVD Crave).

EDIT: The "Sous-titres: Français, Néerlandais, Aucun" indicates that there will be no forced subtitles on this release.
pardon my ignorance, but would the AUS/PAL versions suffer from the same audio issues as thier European/PAL counterparts?

in other words, do all studio canal films use the same audio track?

i really fear that the audio issues may drive me bonkers.

Last edited by BBHTGuy; 04-09-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBHTGuy View Post
pardon my ignorance, but would the AUS/PAL versions suffer from the same audio issues as thier European/PAL counterparts?

in other words, do all studio canal films use the same audio track?

i really fear that the audio issues may drive me bonkers.

Those were likely limited to the first batch released by Studio Canal and from what I understand was really only much of an issue with Basic Instinct and Rambo (which I haven't tried yet, but Rambo is on the way). The Total Recall and Elephant Man I own sound great. I know MS has been working with them to fix the problem for newer releases, so there likely won't be any issue with the new releases (and the issue was pretty overblown even for the initial releases).
Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Those were likely limited to the first batch released by Studio Canal and from what I understand was really only much of an issue with Basic Instinct and Rambo (which I haven't tried yet, but Rambo is on the way). The Total Recall and Elephant Man I own sound great. I know MS has been working with them to fix the problem for newer releases, so there likely won't be any issue with the new releases (and the issue was pretty overblown even for the initial releases).
As I only have the Oz releases, not the French SC one as well, I cannot do a direct comparison. Having said that however, it's highly likely that the Oz releases are identical to the French ones except for the cover art.
The available soundtracks and subtitles are identical to the specs listed for the French releases and the Studio Canal logo appears when you first put the disc into the drive.

With regards to the "high-pitched" audio, a poster on AVS uploaded soundtrack samples comparing the R1 SD and SC HD DVD release of Total Recall. One was a music sample comparison. The "high-pitched" audio or "4% PAL speedup" (whatever you want to call it) translates to the SC edition being a semitone higher.
The only way for someone to tell would be that they either have perfect pitch or that they're intimately familiar with the movie and the actor's voices.

For myself, I'd be put off high-pitched audio if this were a recording of e.g. a Beethoven symphony. With a movie soundtrack not so much; especially as I'd have to do a direct comparison in order to become aware of the difference in the first place.

Last edited by AES256; 04-09-2007 at 08:15 AM.