Project Papo (Japan - GDH) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 AM

Default Project Papo (Japan - GDH)

I was strolling at Akihabara today and found this in Sofmap main store's 2nd hand Blu-ray section (they still have a couple of HD DVDs there too). I was glad to add it to my collection finally and the 2nd hand price wasn't half bad (980 yen).

Only seen it once before (Yahoo Japan auctions where a forum friend spotted it and I helped him get it from there earlier). It's probably one of the most rare commercial HD DVD releases anywhere, and it was only sold through the distributor's own web shop and it has been out of print and unavailable for a really long time already. The same thing is much more easily available on Blu-ray though.

Disc spec according to eac3to:

Quote:
EVO, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 1:06:40
"PGM"
1: Chapters, 28 chapters with names
2: h264/AVC, 1080p30 /1.001 (16:9)
3: RAW/PCM, Japanese, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz, -67ms
I wonder if it's really 1080p30 as indicated, that would be pretty rare, don't remember any other releases with this specific encoding type indicated by eac3to.

It's a single layer HD DVD:

Quote:
Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.6.0.9)
HL-DT-ST BD-REGGW-H20N XL05 [serial no removed]
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a HD DVD.
Booktype: hd-dvd (version 3), Layers: 1
Total size: 6026112 sectors (11769 MBytes)
Video HD DVD label: GDHS_1192
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 1
Modified DISCID.DAT!
Removed AACS copy protection!
A review of the Blu-ray version:
http://www.mania.com/project-papo_article_78967.html

Release announcement of the HD DVD version:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...itle-on-hd-dvd

I peeked at the content briefly and it might even be quite English friendly as many on-screen texts were actually in English and I didn't notice any dialogue on the audio side at those spots I looked at. Now that I read the review it also says that there's very little dialogue (4 or 5 lines) and most on-screen texts are in English.

Last edited by kannisto; 02-01-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:04 AM

Some screencaps from the early part with Nero8 Showtime. It shows the content to be progressive at 30 fps as well.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 AM

how much would be that in euros?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmk2 View Post
how much would be that in euros?
The price I paid for it was equal to about 7.80 EUR, the original MRSP would have been around 56.50 EUR. 2nd hand HD DVDs were all 980 yen or less (Transformers was 480 yen) in that store, but no other interesting rare ones in the selection and they only had one of these.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:02 AM

thank you very much Kannisto

is it english friendly? a friend of mine might go to tokyo sometimes soon this year, so wouldn`t mind him buying me an exotic hd dvd.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
thank you very much Kannisto

is it english friendly? a friend of mine might go to tokyo sometimes soon this year, so wouldn`t mind him buying me an exotic hd dvd.
This one has almost no dialogue, but the couple of lines of it are in Japanese with no English subs. Many of the texts on screen are actually in English.

This is pretty much impossible to find as a HD DVD in any Tokyo stores though as it was never sold outside of the distributor's own online store originally and the print is probably very limited in quantity. Now the only chance is 2nd hand stores (or online auctions). I only saw it for the first time in a 2nd hand store yesterday, though I've been shopping such stores quite often for the last few years.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:28 PM

thank you for the info kannisto

was it the only copy?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
thank you for the info kannisto

was it the only copy?
Yes, it was the only one.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:22 AM

thanks again kannisto. just one more question, is it anyhow possible to find the keith jarrett concert or naqoyqatsi in tokyo?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
thanks again kannisto. just one more question, is it anyhow possible to find the keith jarrett concert or naqoyqatsi in tokyo?
The easiest way to buy HD DVDs in / from Japan now is online, most B&M (non-online) stores don't have them anymore and those that still have some selection left have very small number of discs.

Both of these seem to be still possible to buy online somehow but finding them in a physical store would be much harder. I've seen Naqoyqatsi in Shibuya's Tsutaya main store's 2nd hand section (B2 floor) still recently though, they may still have that used copy now. Both Amazon JP and HMV JP still seem to be able to ship Naqoyqatsi if their availability status can be relied on (neither indicate it as in stock though).

Keith Jarret disc would be harder but kakaku.com lists two online stores that still supposedly sell it. Whether they can actually deliver is uncertain though.

Somebody just visiting Tokyo would have very hard time finding any of these in shops though.