Chronicles of Riddick (Japan) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 AM

Default Chronicles of Riddick (Japan)

Anyone compared this release to the US release (PQ/AQ)? Also, what cut is the Japanese disc?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
Anyone compared this release to the US release (PQ/AQ)? Also, what cut is the Japanese disc?
In reference to the US disc I will NEVER watch the US release again. The Japanese one is really that good. After 2+ years of owning HD DVD and BD it actually made me say "WOW!" in several places. I don't know what cut it is to be honest (how can I tell)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:00 AM

The Japanese disc is the theatrical cut and has an AVC encode. The American disc is the Director's Cut and is VC-1.

I haven't seen the Japanese disc, but I've heard that it has some artifacting problems like many early AVC encodes (before the authoring software matured).

The Blu-ray has both cuts of the movie.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:00 AM

I found an old thread on AVS, saying it was the Theatrical. Also it was AVC, which I kind of figured.

Thanks for your response, sounds prmosing!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Hmm, thanks Josh. Well, I have a couple Toshiba/Showgate early releases and they look good to me. I think I'm going to order it and rent the US and compare myself. I'm pretty sure it will bug me if I don't figure that one out, I'm always curious about Japanese releases.

Too bad it's still so darn expensive!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:43 PM

I have the Japanese disc. Yes, it is the theatrical version, AVC and DD+. As far as artifacts goes, I didn't notice anything under normal viewing, but that's not to say it's perfect.