Toshiba HD DVD Premium Discs (first HD DVDs released) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 PM

Default Toshiba HD DVD Premium Discs (first HD DVDs released)

I finally got this original HD DVD double set that was bundled by Toshiba with the Japanese HD-XA1 players when they first started selling those in March 2006. At that time there were no HD DVDs available at all in shops in any country so these are basically the first HD DVDs ever released.

There are 2 movies included:

- Moonlight Jellyfish
- Resident Evil (title in Japan is Biohazard)

I was happily surprised to noticed that Moonlight Jellyfish comes with optional English subtitles

I'll try to add some more details in this thread soon.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 PM

Cool. What kinda movie is Moonlight Jellyfish? Drama or thriller? I read the brief description, but couldn't really pinpoint the type of movie this is?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULL74 View Post
Cool. What kinda movie is Moonlight Jellyfish? Drama or thriller? I read the brief description, but couldn't really pinpoint the type of movie this is?
I know very little about it myself but it seems to involve a guy who has a little brother with a serious and very rare health problem, and it has some Yakuza action + maybe some romantic elements. I just started watching it I'll write some more comments afterwards.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 AM

Nice score. I heard of Moonlight Jellyfish but for some reason I thought it was another name for Resident Evil. I didn't know the first Japanese player came with two movies. Anyway, awesome that it comes with English subs and I'll put it in the HD DVD list. I wonder how many of those HD-XA1 Japanese players were sold?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Nice score. I heard of Moonlight Jellyfish but for some reason I thought it was another name for Resident Evil. I didn't know the first Japanese player came with two movies. Anyway, awesome that it comes with English subs and I'll put it in the HD DVD list. I wonder how many of those HD-XA1 Japanese players were sold?
I'm not sure how many HD-XA1 players were sold in Japan but there must have been at least a few thousand produced with the bundled disc. They continued to bundle it with HD-XA1 for about 10 months if I remember right. I guess HD-XA1 didn't sell that much after the 2nd generation players came out though and I'm not sure how good the initial sales were here.

Theoretically it should be easier to find these discs but I've never seen one in any 2nd hand B&M shops and online stores don't list this so it can't be bought in Amazon JP marketplace either. Maybe the 2nd hand stores have a policy of not buying discs that were not originally sales items and are marked as "not for sale".
Old 04-07-2009, 03:27 AM

I finished watching Moonlight Jellyfish. It was an enjoyable movie though nothing groundbreaking. I enjoyed seeing some Tokyo locations that I recognized and the story is quite layered and keeps the interest up though it's not highly evolved. The acting of the main characters wasn't anything special but the side characters were pretty good. At times the movie looks pretty much like some Japanese TV drama shows.

Story:
The main character Seiji has been taking care of his little brother Michio since their mother died when Michio was 5. The father had disappeared already when Michio was born. Michio has a disease called Xeroderma Pigmentosum which according to the movie makes him a 1000 times more sensitive to sunlight than normal people and therefore he can't be exposed to sunlight as he could very easily get a skin cancer. When he has to go out during the day he wears a kind of "space suit" that makes him look very strange. The young boys in the apartment complex make fun of him and act abusively. He's mentally only at a level of a 6-year old child though he is already several years older than that. Not sure if this kind of symptom is in reality somehow related to XP but in the movie it seems to be.

Seiji has begun working for a yakuza group that operates in Tokyo's Shinjuku / Kabuki-cho area. He seems to be a young rising star in the yakuza. He seemed to have found no other way to make money while taking care of his brother as the relatives didn't help them after their mother had died. While he's taking care of his little brother he tends to get called to go to various places to handle some yakuza affairs and the brother tends to get in trouble when left alone. Once Michio gets injured and needs to be taken to a hospital. Seiji is also taking some risks in his yakuza affairs and ends up triggering a kind of gang war with a Chinese mob operating in the same area. Somewhere along the away a nerdy novice nurse in a nearby hospital falls for Seiji and starts getting close to the 2 brothers. Things escalate from there as Seiji tries to juggle his gangster duties with family affairs and a relationship and the gang war gets heated up.

Overall the movie is a kind of melodrama with a young male idol as the main character probably to attract a female audience. From the way he looks, it's kind of difficult to believe he's a yakuza gangster. The romantic elements and a "love conquers all" seem to be the core theme although things don't go so well towards the end. The gang violence that occurs sporadically is fairly convincing and believable and the other mob characters look much more like the real thing.

Overall production values make the movie look like a TV drama to some extent.

Technical specs:
Disc: HD-30, 17790 MBytes used
Runtime: 1:53:13
Video: MPEG-4/AVC with AR of 1.78:1 (or 1.85:1) 1080p / 23.976 fps with pulldown flags
Audio: Japanese PCM 2.0 (no surround sound)
Subs: Optional English for the whole movie and hardcoded Japanese in case of Chinese dialogue
No extras except for Chapters.

PQ was fairly good, no notable problems there and the audio is decent, even though there's no surround sound. I'll see if I can get some screencaps taken.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 AM

Some screencaps of Moonlight Jellyfish:

Old 04-07-2009, 07:20 AM

Before this morning I had never heard of "Munraito jierifisshu". Is this available on Blu-ray in Japan or is it one of the HD DVD exclusives? I wonder if somebody at Toshiba had a sense of humor, including Moonlight Jellyfish in the box. An early blind buy of an HD DVD player was likely to result in getting stung in the dark.

Chris
Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM

It's not been released on BD so far and it wasn't even released as a sales HD DVD. It's only included on the bundle disc. Actually it seems to be a Pony Canyon release as the movie has a Pony Canyon intro only. Biohazard has the usual Toshiba Entertainment intro. Toshiba probably made some deal with Pony Canyon to be able to distribute this as a bundled disc.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
Toshiba probably made some deal with Pony Canyon to be able to distribute this as a bundled disc.
I believe, at the time, Toshiba owned Pony Canyon, though that is no longer the case.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.