Silent Hill German Import HD DVD vs. Silent Hill American Blu Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Default Silent Hill German Import HD DVD vs. Silent Hill American Blu Ray

Which one is the best, in terms of PQ transfer??? I've been reading other threads, and have not been satisfied.

I want to hear from people that have actually done the comparison, or seen them both.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 AM

There was a Blog ages ago that did a comparison and side by side screenies... the Blu had noticeable grain against the HD-DVD screencap... dunno if it's worth googling
Old 12-02-2008, 01:20 PM

Here's the comparison. Not very extensive, unfortunately. Can't help you out otherwise, except to say that the HD DVD looks and sounds great. Also that the same transfer is also on a German BD from the same company, and they usually don't add region codes.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM

Nooo thas not the comparison I saw... it was a piece by piece breakdown of the piccy
Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krylonman View Post
Here's the comparison. Not very extensive, unfortunately. Can't help you out otherwise, except to say that the HD DVD looks and sounds great. Also that the same transfer is also on a German BD from the same company, and they usually don't add region codes.

Cool!

The HD-DVD seems to be slightly smoother but retains the grain that's supposed to be there. The Blu ray seems to be slightly more "pixely" and not as smooth.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satans Puppet View Post
Nooo thas not the comparison I saw... it was a piece by piece breakdown of the piccy

Link? I can't find it on Google.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
The HD-DVD seems to be slightly smoother but retains the grain that's supposed to be there. The Blu ray seems to be slightly more "pixely" and not as smooth.
If you do get the Blu-ray, could you post back about your impressions? I'm not a member of any rental service or else I would have compared them myself a while ago. If it looks as wonky as, say, 'The Tailor of Panama,' I'll be holding on to the HD DVD for a while.