Band of Brothers Import value? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Band of Brothers Import value?

I am curious, I bought the Band of Brothers import a few months back.

My question is if I hold onto them will they go up in value, stay the same or increase in value.

I see one set on Ebay is $248.00. I know thats more than I paid.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws17 View Post

My question is if I hold onto them will they go up in value, stay the same or increase in value.

Hard to say.. Depends on how many collectors are out there. With the blu release I think they will lose value. That one has been on ebay forever. Noone is buying it at that price.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws17 View Post

It may, if the film purists prefer the HD DVD over the Blu-ray set that just came out, since supposedly it has less DNR. (I have the BD set coming, so I'll be able to see for myself). So we may have a case where the BoB HD DVD actually increases in value due to the BLu-ray release. Even if the PQ is 1% better, that's enough to make it the best version available and people will want it, since this series is so popular.

Also the BoB HD DVD set is known as the 'crown jewel' of the format, so a lot of owners will want to hang on to it for that reason alone. Remember, BoB HD DVD is really not that rare, but yet you don't see a lot of them up for auction on Ebay like you do Jack Ryan. There's a reason behind that.

But, you really never know for sure, and only time will tell...
Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 PM

I have compared the HD DVD set to the Blu-ray in a few spots in the HD DVD definitely has better PQ. It's most apparent in close up shots were you can see the pores in the faces much more readily, and just high frequency detail in general (such as gravel roads, hair, buiding, sky, etc.) They've clearly done some additional grain scrubbing on the BD, and while it still looks very good, the HD DVD remains the definitive version. Therefore, since this series is so popular, I expect the value to go up, since it will be a looong time (if ever) before another version will come out to trump the HD DVD one.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:22 PM

What did you think of the sound bruce? I only did a brief comparison but the blu-ray version did sound a tad bit more crisp during the Carentan town scene. Not sure if I just didn't level match, but the surrounds seem to be a bit more louder for the lossless track.

Regardless, I'm keeping my HD DVD set. It's definitely the "crown jewel" in my HD DVD collection.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
What did you think of the sound bruce? I only did a brief comparison but the blu-ray version did sound a tad bit more crisp during the Carentan town scene. Not sure if I just didn't level match, but the surrounds seem to be a bit more louder for the lossless track.

Regardless, I'm keeping my HD DVD set. It's definitely the "crown jewel" in my HD DVD collection.
I can't do a fair sound comparison since I use 5.1 analog on the HD DVD and simple optical on the Blu-ray (LG BH200 player). I could connect the HD DVD player to optical/coaxial to compare though, but it's not the same as lossless, and the BD version would be compromised more, I think. But from what I heard the BD version sounded very good.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 PM

my friend has the HD DVD set.
the sound on the Blu definitely trumps the HD DVD set imo.
as far as pq, I saw what appeared to be a bit more detail with the HD DVD set as it does appear that a little more dnr was applied to the Blu version.
Honestly for me, however, the Blu is better overall because I feel the improved AQ easily puts the Blu over the top.
Look, both versions are excellent, but I just prefer the Blu at this point from what I saw and heard in my somewhat brief comparison.
my 2 cents.

Last edited by Arkadin; 11-14-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:42 AM

lol, no need to defend your stance...anyone who would still call you a heretic this long after the format war has some issues. Blu-ray boxset for $41 amounting to an over 100% savings? Count me in.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:39 AM

lol!
yeah those were the days...............
I actually just got my 4.0 disc in the mail for my A2.
finally got my firmware updated--
LAUNCH to 4.0 in 10 minutes!!
I can finally watch the 60 or so HD DVDs I haven't gotten to yet without worrying about some weird audio dropouts or other problems.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
my friend has the HD DVD set.
the sound on the Blu definitely trumps the HD DVD set imo.
as far as pq, I saw what appeared to be a bit more detail with the HD DVD set as it does appear that a little more dnr was applied to the Blu version.
Honestly for me, however, the Blu is better overall because I feel the improved AQ easily puts the Blu over the top.
Look, both versions are excellent, but I just prefer the Blu at this point from what I saw and heard in my somewhat brief comparison.
my 2 cents.
I can't hear any difference, but my ears aren't what they used to be either. Others who have compared have said they can hear no difference as well (BTW, the HD DVD has DTS-HD at 2046 kbps, and the BD DTS-HD MA at 2166 kbps). But good for you if you think it definitely trumps it. I got the BD set because of the Spanish subs and because of the extras (especially the interactive timeline). I'll gladly watch the BD version with my Spanish speaking family, but still knowing that I have a better version on the shelf due to excessive DNR. But at $41, the BD is clearly the best value.