Torchwood Packaging - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-14-2008, 11:43 PM

Default Torchwood Packaging

After a long day or house cleaning and cooking dinner for my wife, she gave me the rest of the evening to do whatever I wanted so I finally got around to opening up the HD DVD Torchwood season 1. Being I work in the print industry, packaging always fascinates me... yes... people call me a printing nerd but that's how I make my living and any print products out there always sparks my interested in terms of quality and execution.

I was able to finish watching two episodes and I'm quite impressed. Audio codec used is DTS HD Hi-Res and sounds quite good. The picture quality was also impressive, although a bit slick similar to how soap operas look. Even with my TV's post processing setting on medium, the images has fantastic pop and we were both stunned at the "3D" appearance. I've never been a Doctor Who fan so I clearly will not understand any references to it, however the shows are fun to watch, albeit with some adult humor. Definitely worth the bargain price I paid for.

Here are some pictures of the set if anyone was curious what it looked like. I actually like the packaging design, although it's nothing revolutionary. The team that designed this piece were able to add some very nice, if subtle, production processes into the outer sleeve. The title "Torchwood" on the front and spine have been foiled in red along with layering a spot gloss UV coating to create the honey comb pattern. It's difficult to tell, but apparently they either used a matte varnish or a matte laminate underneath prior to adding the gloss UV coating which really makes a nice contrast. What's strange to me is that they didn't continue to utilize the spot gloss UV effect for the back's honey comb pattern, instead just flooding the entire area with the gloss UV. In terms of production, it's still on the same print pass and plate, so it shouldn't of cost any more than what they were already paying. To me, it seems like an oversight from the design team which would've really added a nice final touch.

The inside disc holder assembly utilizes 6 plastic holders with a spine to create a flipbook (similar to the Star Trek TOS disc assembly) and additionally a cover wrap for the added visual touch along with protecting the assembly/discs. The individual holders also have the HD DVD logo frosted at the top, a very nice touch. The assembly cover wrap doesn't seem to use the gloss UV coating, but has either a high gloss varnish or aqueous coating. The center hubs work well as discs are easily removable without flexing the disc much and also securely holds it.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:13 AM

very cool, i plan on picking this up soon.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 AM

It's an awesome set, absolutely worth picking up.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 AM

Can't wait for my set...BD or not, I just want in high definition. Wonder how the BD set will look...
Old 09-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

Looks good! I still think the American BD version has better cover art though....but if I find this sub $40 I'll nab it as a blind buy.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Hi:

This set was around $35 US a month ago from HMV.com. The deal was posted in the bargins section of this forum.

I purchased my set that way as a blind buy. I enjoyed the show and even got my wife into it.

I just sold it for $40 so I can purchase season 2. Season 2 is not really on sale anywhere. The cheapest I can find it for is around $45-50. I was hoping to find it for $40. I will have to buy it used from someone eventually.

I would recommend the show to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi with a bit of drama. There are some references to Dr. Who but for the most part it will not detract from your enjoyment of the show.

Kevin
Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned

I missed out on it
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgret View Post
Hi:

This set was around $35 US a month ago from HMV.com. The deal was posted in the bargains section of this forum.

I purchased my set that way as a blind buy. I enjoyed the show and even got my wife into it.

I just sold it for $40 so I can purchase season 2. Season 2 is not really on sale anywhere. The cheapest I can find it for is around $45-50. I was hoping to find it for $40. I will have to buy it used from someone eventually.

I would recommend the show to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi with a bit of drama. There are some references to Dr. Who but for the most part it will not detract from your enjoyment of the show.

Kevin
Torchwood Season One is a keeper for me, and I paid $70 + when it was first released. The packaging is very nice, and excellent PQ & AQ.

I just got Season 2 DVD from Warner Home Video; similar packaging. It just arrived today, so I can't say how well it upconverts. I paid $41.97, using that 30% discount code (look in the Blu-ray bargain threads to find it). But that code only works with orders of 2+ items, but then you need the order total over $50 for free shipping. It shipped last Friday 2nd day UPS, so the free shipping is worth it. BTW, Warner has dropped all HD DVD titles, so you'll need to settle for a or DVD for that second item.

EDIT: Just checked the BD Bargains to make sure the Warner 30% code still works. It apparently still works, and the code is: ANWBTS
Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

I noticed Warner dumped HD DVD from their site...what will they do with all those discs?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I noticed Warner dumped HD DVD from their site...what will they do with all those discs?
That's why I said keep an eye on the bargains threads - they'll show up on DeepDiscount, Inet, etc.