HMV Japan A+ service - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Default HMV Japan A+ service

This was the first time I ordered from Japan and figured I'd see my movies in a month or so. First one of the movies I ordered was out of stock and they sent me an e-mail asking me if I wanted to wait till they got it back in stock. They very next day they got it in stock. I took the cheapest shipping which was only $11. I got my movies expressed mailed to me in 2 days. Is this how they normaly do buisness?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
This was the first time I ordered from Japan and figured I'd see my movies in a month or so. First one of the movies I ordered was out of stock and they sent me an e-mail asking me if I wanted to wait till they got it back in stock. They very next day they got it in stock. I took the cheapest shipping which was only $11. I got my movies expressed mailed to me in 2 days. Is this how they normaly do buisness?
Yes, that is correct. Not only do they have the best service, they have the fastest shipping, the cheapest shipping, the widest availability (except maybe Amazon.jp), and most important, the lowest prices of anybody that sells Japanese HD DVDs. To crown it all off, they offer rewards points, which amount to about 5-7% of your purchase. I can't recommend them strongly enough and I buy from there a lot.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:34 AM

I need to check out their site. I still need to get a few Japanese 's to complete my collection.

XXX
Reign Of Fire
Oliver Twist
Biohazard Resident Evil
Equilibrium

Wonder if they have any of these in stock?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULL74 View Post
I need to check out their site. I still need to get a few Japanese 's to complete my collection.

XXX
Reign Of Fire
Oliver Twist
Biohazard Resident Evil
Equilibrium

Wonder if they have any of these in stock?
I would get Equilibrium from Tony before he runs out. Nobody else has had that title for months.

Oliver Twist is available at Amazon.jp but nowhere else AFAIK.

I think HMV has the others but I'm not sure. Here's their list of (most of) their available HD DVDs
Old 08-23-2008, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
HMV Japan ships internationally by EMS and they charge the actual shipping cost for shipping and no extra. Sending 1 or 2 discs to U.S. by EMS is 1200 yen, 3-4 is about 1500 yen, 5 is usually 1680 yen and so forth. EMS is very cost effective and fast from Japan to U.S. For some reason it's much more expensive from U.S. to Japan.

I like HMV too but I buy new releases mostly from Amazon JP because their pre-order discounts are usually a bit better and both of the shops ship for free within Japan (as long as the order value is not very very low). For older titles HMV keeps the same discounts available while Amazon often does not.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:01 PM

Didn't even know Oldboy was released on HD. Would love to pick it up, but it's a little too pricey for me.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdaze73 View Post
Didn't even know Oldboy was released on HD. Would love to pick it up, but it's a little too pricey for me.

Yea I saw that also, but I doubt that it has English subtitles? Maybe Kannisto can verify some information about this ?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULL74 View Post
Yea I saw that also, but I doubt that it has English subtitles? Maybe Kannisto can verify some information about this ?
Yeah, it does not have English subtititles and the picture quality is not among the best though it's probably a source print related thing more than any transfer issue. I have it in my collection.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:54 PM

Seems HMV just discontinued the multi-buy discount for HD DVD that they've had for a long time. Darn, that's about 6 bucks a title more expensive.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Seems HMV just discontinued the multi-buy discount for HD DVD that they've had for a long time. Darn, that's about 6 bucks a title more expensive.
Seems it's not available for Blu-ray discs either anymore, now everything seems to be just 10% off MRSP...