I need help with HD DVD cover scans - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 PM

Default I need help with HD DVD cover scans

In my efforts to complete the DVDAF HD DVD database I am in search of a few cover scans. These need to be high-resolution pics (internet pics are also fine as long as they're not 3D). I set my scanner to 600 dots per square inch then reduce it to 25% of what it was. Anyone that wants to help me can of course scan them anyway he/she wants as long as they look good in the end (just try to make sure the cover is centered/straight). I know people who have most of these but I don't want to ask direct favors so I'd rather just leave it open Here's the list:

Bridge to Terabithia (French edition only)
Curse of the Golden Flower (French edition only) (Amazon.fr pic has poor resolution)
Fall Guy (Japan)
Frenchmen (France)
Ghost Rider (France) (Poor Amazon.fr pic)
Goal! (Japan)
Hannibal Rising (Polish edition only)
Keitai Keiji The Movie 2 (Japan)
Patlabor 1 (Japan)
Premonition (Germany)
Shinobi: Heart Under Blade (French edition only)
Under Siege 2 (Italian edition only)
Yellow Handkerchief of Happiness (Japan)

The list is more extensive than I thought but no one has to help me. And really I expect these to come in at a slow trickle from other members. I'll be looking for good cover art for all of them, too. I've scanned almost every import I have but I've just run out of stuff I want to buy. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it Please post here or email me at [email protected] if you take the time to scan some stuff.

Last edited by Jester217300; 01-06-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 PM

I have many of those but I have no scanner... Just digital cameras.

Quote:
Love and Honor (Japan) (Is the Amazon.jp cover correct? It shows DVD on the cover. If that's right that pic is fine.)
It's not correct. The real one looks like this:

Quote:
Vexille (Both editions only if Amazon.jp is wrong, they seem like promo images to me. If they're right I can use those)
This is what the simpler edition (DVD+HD DVD, no extra DVDs) looks like:
Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 PM

I have the following ones I can scan in for you

Bridge to Terabithia (French edition only)
Curse of the Golden Flower (French edition)
Frenchmen (France)
Ghost Rider (France) (Poor Amazon.fr pic)
Goal! (Japan)
Godsend (DVD + HD DVD) (Japan)
Hannibal Rising (Polish edition only)
Hidden Blade (Japan)
Hotel Babylon (U.K.)
Premonition (Germany)
Torchwood (U.K.) As soon as it gets here
Under Siege 2 As soon as it gets here
Winx II (Italy) (As soon as it gets here)

Will take mea day or two to do them but I can scan them and put them up on my FTP for you
Old 07-11-2008, 09:30 PM

I too have many of those but I have to figure out how to use my scanner.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
I have many of those but I have no scanner... Just digital cameras.
You have some great pics that I really want to use but most of your camera pics have the HD DVD a little off center which makes it hard to use when I cut the background away. I'm not critiquing you at all, I would never be able to get the damn thing straight.

I've tried some programs to rotate an image 3 degrees (or something similar) and all they do is break the image into small pieces and move them vertically. They look terrible. It's disappointing because half my list would be gone if I just used your existing pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
I have the following ones I can scan in for you

Will take mea day or two to do them but I can scan them and put them up on my FTP for you
Thanks I knew you had most of them I only have the patience to scan about three a week so don't feel the need to actually scan them all in two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I too have many of those but I have to figure out how to use my scanner.
No rush This is just a personal thing to get a complete list with pics (and DVDAF is what I use to categorize my collection).
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 PM

Hehe I network scan them so it literally takes me about 30 seconds per image to do them. Takes me longer to find the movie and get the cover out of the case than it does to actually scan it Takes even longer for me to upload them but I am used to cueing up stuff and going to bed
Old 07-11-2008, 10:24 PM

I'll try to learn my scanner tomorrow and see if I can scan a few (that Tormond doesn't have listed), as I have a rare day off. I'll send you a PM if I have any problems or questions.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
and get the cover out of the case
I find that it's easier to scan the cover through the clear plastic cover. It's easier for me to align the image straight and it doesn't really affect the quality. But do whatever you think is best, that's just how I do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I'll try to learn my scanner tomorrow and see if I can scan a few (that Tormond doesn't have listed), as I have a rare day off. I'll send you a PM if I have any problems or questions.
Thanks a bunch, Bruce. I appreciate it. I'll be out tomorrow afternoon but should be back tomorrow in the early evening if you have any questions you need me to answer.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
You have some great pics that I really want to use but most of your camera pics have the HD DVD a little off center which makes it hard to use when I cut the background away. I'm not critiquing you at all, I would never be able to get the damn thing straight.

I've tried some programs to rotate an image 3 degrees (or something similar) and all they do is break the image into small pieces and move them vertically. They look terrible. It's disappointing because half my list would be gone if I just used your existing pics
Yeah, especially the ones that were took handheld and not with a tripod are usually never 100% straight and well centered. Even with tripod it's hard to get them perfectly aligned. I didn't usually care much about perfect alignment anyway as I just took the pics to casually show what the disc looks like.

As for SW to rotate images, I think Adobe Photoshop Lightroom does a very good job, I'm recently using that one for my digital photo post processing. It's not cheap though at $299. I got a licence for free because I had bought Rawshooter Professional photo processing SW previously (much cheaper than Lightroom) and the small company that used to create that SW was bought by Adobe into developing Lightroom and as compensation for discontinuation of their old SW, registered owners got Adobe Lightroom 1.x for free.