Mr and Mrs Smith reviews??? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-28-2008, 03:47 PM
REDBULL74's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,075
Default Mr and Mrs Smith reviews???

Tried finding some information about this one in the search feature, but couldn't find much? Anybody own this and wanna give me their impressions on the PQ and AQ? I wanna buy the Polish , but i'm curious if the transfer is a solid one?


Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULL74 View Post
Tried finding some information about this one in the search feature, but couldn't find much? Anybody own this and wanna give me their impressions on the PQ and AQ? I wanna buy the Polish , but i'm curious if the transfer is a solid one?


Thanks
I have it and thought that the transfer was pretty good. I have only watched it once however and it was a while back. I would pop it in and check but the theatre room is down for HD DVD right now (XA2 is in the shop) but will maybe try later on tonight after the kids go to bed to do a quick scan thru
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
I have it and thought that the transfer was pretty good. I have only watched it once however and it was a while back. I would pop it in and check but the theatre room is down for HD DVD right now (XA2 is in the shop) but will maybe try later on tonight after the kids go to bed to do a quick scan thru
What problem did your XA2 have? And will the repair be covered under warranty?

And have you considered the purchase of a backup player?

And, back on topic, here's one happy owner comment on the HD-DVD version of Mr. and Mrs. Smith:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi.../t-869993.html
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
What problem did your XA2 have? And will the repair be covered under warranty?

And have you considered the purchase of a backup player?

And, back on topic, I couldn't find any reviews of the HD-DVD version of Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
My XA2 has the shutdown bug. Yes it is covered under warranty with no hassles.

I have a A1, A2, A30, A35, XA2 and 3 XBox add ons.. I just don't have any hooked up where I can give a honest review of a disc (ie they are hooked to 720P TVs or they are 1080i players). My XA2 is hooked to my projector (1080p/24) and the A35 is hooked to a Sharp Aquos (1080p/24) and the A30 is hooked to a 1080p Westy 42" LCD that isn't very good but with the exception of my theatre room I don't have a single one that isn't using HDMI thru TV speakers etc. I can look with the A35 later tonight but until my kids go to bed it is pretty much their and my wife's TV and the movie is a bit too violent for the little ones
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
My XA2 has the shutdown bug. Yes it is covered under warranty with no hassles.

I have a A1, A2, A30, A35, XA2 and 3 XBox add ons.. I just don't have any hooked up where I can give a honest review of a disc (ie they are hooked to 720P TVs or they are 1080i players). My XA2 is hooked to my projector (1080p/24) and the A35 is hooked to a Sharp Aquos (1080p/24) and the A30 is hooked to a 1080p Westy 42" LCD that isn't very good but with the exception of my theatre room I don't have a single one that isn't using HDMI thru TV speakers etc. I can look with the A35 later tonight but until my kids go to bed it is pretty much their and my wife's TV and the movie is a bit too violent for the little ones
That's great that the repair is covered under warranty. Is the shutdown bug easy to check for? I ask because I've been looking for a used XA2 and I wonder what things I should watch out for in a used player.

And that's an awesome collection of HD hardware that you have!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
That's great that the repair is covered under warranty. Is the shutdown bug easy to check for? I ask because I've been looking for a used XA2 and I wonder what things I should watch out for in a used player.

And that's an awesome collection of HD hardware that you have!
Yep the shutdown bug is very easy to check for. Put a disc in and hit play. Watch about 45 min or so of the movie and the player will just turn off

I bought mine used and oddly enough it was fine for the first 3 weeks I had it. Then all of a sudden it shuts down with any disc I stick in it. Called Toshiba and after about 20 minutes had an RMA number for it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 PM
bruceames's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,479
Default

Mine shuts down too, but only once in a while. It never used to do it until a few months ago. If it gets any worse I'll probably send mine in, but I don't think it's covered under warranty (I bought it February 2007). Also it's modded for region free (but unfortunately it won't output PAL and my TV is a plasma), so they may raise a flag on that even if it is under warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Mine shuts down too, but only once in a while. It never used to do it until a few months ago. If it gets any worse I'll probably send mine in, but I don't think it's covered under warranty (I bought it February 2007). Also it's modded for region free (but unfortunately it won't output PAL and my TV is a plasma), so they may raise a flag on that even if it is under warranty.
Tell them you got it as a gift and they will cover it
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2008, 12:32 AM
bruceames's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
Tell them you got it as a gift and they will cover it
Thanks for the tip. I'll wait until it does it again and then probably give them a call. I've got a spare I can pull from the closet.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,420
Default

Anyone ever have a problem with the disc tray door on their XA2? That's the only problem I've ever had with mine - sometimes the tray door acts like the springs are too strong and doesn't drop down all the way and the tray, sensing a jam, doesn't eject. It usually happens after the player has been warmed up & playing for a couple of hours. I've been tempted to open it up & see if maybe I can put some graphite lubricant on it or something.

So as to not totally derail the thread - No, never seen the import. I rented the version & didn't like the movie very much, so the high price of the Polish deterred me from taking the plunge.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mr. and mrs. smith audio sir_connery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 12-26-2007 10:17 PM
Mr. and Mrs. Smith - Thought it was postponed? mtnman3888 Blu-ray Software General Discussion 13 12-05-2007 04:23 AM
Mr.and Mrs. Smith bd taygan315 Blu-ray Software General Discussion 3 07-30-2007 02:46 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off