Old 06-08-2008, 03:30 PM

Default German Discs Questions

Anyone have any of these?

Bali - 1000 Gesichter einer Insel [HD DVD]
Der Geist von Mae Nak [HD DVD]
Rides Vol. 1 / Episoden 01-04 (engl.) [HD DVD]
Rides Vol. 2 / Episoden 05-07 (engl.) [HD DVD]
Rides Vol. 3 / Episoden 08-10 (engl.) [HD DVD]

Interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on them (or any experience at all). I am in the process of ordering all 5 and was just curious (I am buying them anyway just curious as to what I am actually buying
Old 06-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
Bali - 1000 Gesichter einer Insel [HD DVD]
I have this one but I can't play it on my A3. I'm waiting for my A20 to get fixed so I'm hoping it plays on that.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any of these?

[..]
Der Geist von Mae Nak [HD DVD]
[..]

Interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on them (or any experience at all). I am in the process of ordering all 5 and was just curious (I am buying them anyway just curious as to what I am actually buying
Not sure if u really want to order this, because it only contains
  • German dts-HD Master Audio 7.1
  • Thai dts 5.1
audio and except of German no other subtitles. PQ and AQ is quite okay, nothing impressive or extraordinary.

The Rides series looks very well on HD DVD, a friend of mine owns it. Haven't seen much of it, but the PQ seemed to be a little bit superior to the Discovery HD broadcast.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
Not sure if u really want to order this, because it only contains
  • German dts-HD Master Audio 7.1
  • Thai dts 5.1
audio and except of German no other subtitles. PQ and AQ is quite okay, nothing impressive or extraordinary.

The Rides series looks very well on HD DVD, a friend of mine owns it. Haven't seen much of it, but the PQ seemed to be a little bit superior to the Discovery HD broadcast.
Don't really care about audio as I can put English subs on anything with titledrome (I probably own 30 hd dvds with no english anywhere near them)

Thanks for the input on rides. I was kinda curious about them and was hoping it wasn't going to be 3 discs like "MTV cribs"
Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 PM

"Ghost of Nae Mak" has been discussed before I know in some threads in this section somewhere
although I have no idea if it is the same transfer.
maybe in the main import thread.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Don't really care about audio as I can put English subs on anything with titledrome (I probably own 30 hd dvds with no english anywhere near them)
Sounds pretty neat, very cool tool. I wouldn't guess you ever would do so, but just in case the dts-HD Master Audio lures you, tune in the Thai dts. The German voice actors doesn't really fit to the charakters and even more important, they filtered some background audio. The movie itself is pretty enjoyable if u like asian mystery/morror movies.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:58 PM

Well all 5 of them are headed my way so I will know shortly
Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Tormond - what did you make of the Bali disc?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
I have this one but I can't play it on my A3. I'm waiting for my A20 to get fixed so I'm hoping it plays on that.
This won't played in my a35 either, so I guess problem with 3rd generation players.
But it played with my A20.

Overall excellent PQ and Interactivity. It is basically feel like a tour trip to Bali without actually getting there.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermono View Post
Tormond - what did you make of the Bali disc?
It seemed more like a ad from the Bali Travel Association than a documentary but overall I liked the disc. Has some good scenes in there but not something I will watch more than once or twice (unless someone wants to see it)