Hannibal Rising import (2 versions?) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-29-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Hannibal Rising import (2 versions?)

I have a question on Hannibal Rising import. I have the Polish version from Xploited. I see their appears to have been a Germany release as well. I thought there was only one version of this, but I see German screenpics of that verison being Unrated.

Can anyone tell me if this is the same release or if infact there is are 2 versions?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 PM

You might be right. I have the Polish version from Xploited as well - I can't see any ratings on it, but the back cover says it's 116 minutes in duration.

According to IMDB, the Runtime of different version are:
Argentina:122 min | USA:130 min (unrated DVD version) | USA:117 min (R rated DVD)

The Amazon.de listing for the German releases, in addition to having "Unrated" on the cover, says the duration is 126 minutes. I had previously rented the Weinstein unrated DVD and don't recall any scenes "missing" from the Polish HD DVD, but the DVD viewing was some time ago.

The other thing is the Polish HD has an Anamorphic display ratio of 1.78:1, completely filling a wide screen HDTV, while the German release is listed as Anamorphic 2.35:1.

But at 31.99 Euro, I'll be sticking with my Polish version.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 AM

There is a 3rd party seller (grooves-inc-fr) in Amazon France marketplace that sells the German version as new for 13.76 EUR + shipping which seems to be 8.99 EUR to Japan. This seller ships from Switzerland and international shipping is available. Total price from that seller was 22.75 EUR shipped to Japan.

I just ordered one from the seller, I sure hope I get the expected content and not some other version as the price is quite low. I already have the Polish one but I figured the price on the German one from this seller is not bad so I gave it a try. Maybe I'll like the unrated longer cut better I want to give the movie a 2nd chance.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000WEUWSY
Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 AM

I received my German edition from the Amazon France marketplace seller today. I ordered on Thursday last week, they shipped on Monday from Switzerland and it arrived today (Friday). Price was 13.76 + 8.99 for shipping, total 22.75 EUR. It's the correct German version, new & sealed and in perfect condition. It's a 2 disc release and the bonus disc had come loose inside the case but I don't see any scratches or marks on it so all is fine. The disc holders are not very tight, the holder wasn't broken but still the 2nd disc had jumped out.

Look out for some impressions on this version soon

As a sidenote, I also received my Star Trek S1 from Australia today, I finally bought it when price was low enough. It's new and sealed as expected but there were some very small loose plastic parts inside the case (don't know where exactly they came from as I didn't notice anything broken) and somehow the disc 1 at the top has a big scratch-like mark on the SD DVD side. I think Paramount's done a poor job with packaging of the release and there seemed to be many complaints about the packaging in various forums before as well. I won't go through the trouble of complaining about it as long as the HD DVD sides work fine and they do look fine.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:50 AM

Hi Kannisto,

I've also ordered from Grooves via the amazon.de site on the day I made my original post. My copy hasn't arrived yet to me in the US but has shipped. I also have the Polish version and will compare when the German copy arrives.

I'm interested to hear your impressions. One difference is the aspect ratio. I believe the Polish is open matte and the German is OAR. The German is supposed to have extra content as well.

Hopefully my copy arrives soon in good condition.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuehne View Post
Hi Kannisto,

I've also ordered from Grooves via the amazon.de site on the day I made my original post. My copy hasn't arrived yet to me in the US but has shipped. I also have the Polish version and will compare when the German copy arrives.

I'm interested to hear your impressions. One difference is the aspect ratio. I believe the Polish is open matte and the German is OAR. The German is supposed to have extra content as well.

Hopefully my copy arrives soon in good condition.
I also saw some 3rd party options in amazon.de site but it seemed amazon.fr's 3rd party option was the cheapest. I made an impressions thread in the import reviews subforum: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=54554

I commented a bit about the aspect ratios and extra content there. It seems the Polish release is a bit cropped from the sites besides being open matte as the German version has a little bit more image on the sides (not too much though). I like the German version better overall.

I hope you get yours soon!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
I also saw some 3rd party options in amazon.de site but it seemed amazon.fr's 3rd party option was the cheapest. I made an impressions thread in the import reviews subforum: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=54554

I commented a bit about the aspect ratios and extra content there. It seems the Polish release is a bit cropped from the sites besides being open matte as the German version has a little bit more image on the sides (not too much though). I like the German version better overall.

I hope you get yours soon!
I just placed an order from the same seller just now and looking forward to the disc.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Nice review.. hope mine comes in soon. I wish I could get Hannibal in hd now. I already have Silence of the Lambs on dvhs and Red Dragon on d-theater and hd-dvd.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuehne View Post
Nice review.. hope mine comes in soon. I wish I could get Hannibal in hd now. I already have Silence of the Lambs on dvhs and Red Dragon on d-theater and hd-dvd.
Yeah, it would be nice if the Amazon France's entry for Hannibal would come through. I don't have a good version of Silence of the Lambs yet either but would love to get it in HD.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 AM

I just ordered Hannibal Rising as well and went ahead and ordered hannibal while I was at it.. Heck maybe it shows up