Underworld Questions?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 AM

Default Underworld Questions??

I was wondering a few things about underworld...first off, has anyone seent he japanese release from GAGA studios? cause its got the TrueHD soundtrack and a different AVC encode? who could compare it to the german version which i have...secondly, i was watching it tonight and on my XA2 it says that the english track is standard dts, it said dts hd MSTR for the german track but it did not say dts HD for the english, which other dts HD tracks do say...so has anyone bitstreamed this to a receiver capable to see if it is actually hd? and third i was wondering what the actual difference in sound quality is between the german and dutch versions? cause if it warrants it, im not too attached to the extended cut and would be willing re buy it? any suggestions...and on a side note, i would assume it does, but has anyone compared the TrueHD gaga track to the hd master audio track on the dutch version? thats alot of underworld talk for me, but its one of my favorite movies and i want the best version i can get thanks guys
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 AM

I have the Japanese and the German versions. I don't have an audio setup for lossless though so the best I can actually utilize is 1.5 Mbps via optical output. I watched the Japanese version in full and was very happy with the PQ and AQ. I then watched parts of the German version. I didn't really do a side by side comparison as I have only one TV screen in my living room... There wasn't any obvious image quality difference that I would have been able to spot in that kind of a test... They looked pretty close to each other in terms of PQ.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:00 AM

Kannisto has the Japanese version. His impressions are here

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=42432

I have the German version (for the extended cut) and the Dutch version (for the extras) is on the way. The German version to me looks and sounds wonderful. I can't imagine that the TrueHD track adds all that much to the overall movie (and yes I am an Underworld fanatic as well). At least I can't justift spending $50 on the Japanese version JUST for the TrueHD track (although it is supposed to look slightly better as well)
Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 AM

thanks for your guys's quick responses, yeah i didnt think that the trueHD or the DTS MA would add too much, but the reviews on here were starting to make me think otherwise....tormond, do you have the equipment for lossless audio by chance? just so you can compare the dts ma to the dts on the german, which i still cant figure out if its actually DTS HD or just DTS like my player said
Old 04-24-2008, 05:22 AM

Umm not sure if the PC will do it or not. I can't bitsream the audio yet (no HDMI receiver) but I will check the disc on the PC for you in just a sec and let you know if it will tell me. I suspect that it is just DTS 1.5 however. Will report back in a few minutes

Just checked and the German track is DTS-MA but the English track is plain old Vanilla DTS at 1.5. The audio sampling rate on the German tarck is all over the place but the English track on the German disc hits 1509 and never moves

Last edited by tormond; 04-24-2008 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 AM

yeah thats what im worried about, in the reveiw and on the box it says dts hd for english....but i guess they've made mistakes before....like on renaissance, they said only the german track was DTS MA and that the english was DTS HD, but they both ended up being MA
Old 04-24-2008, 06:44 AM

I own the Japanese disc and it is a fantastic release. It's one of the best disc' I own. The TrueHD sounds incredible, too.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 AM

hey blacklac, does the japanese version have all the extras that the dutch one does?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post
hey blacklac, does the japanese version have all the extras that the dutch one does?
I think there is only a trailer as an extra on the Japanese disc, GAGA releases haven't had much extras.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 AM

well..thanks all you guys for the great info, since im guessing the TrueHD lossless track is probably no better than the DTS MA lossless audio, and the video encodes seem to be similar in all the different versions....if i do decide to upgrade because of the audio, which i might i think ill go for the dutch version since its so much cheaper than the japanese version and it has the extras...unless of course someone else pops on here and tells me the video on the japanese version is better lol

though i guess in the end untill i heard the lossless track i wouldnt know i what i was missing :P but i like knowing that ive got the best