The Motorcycle Diaries - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM

Default The Motorcycle Diaries

Any group buys for the UK? Im looking to pick this movie up. And would be interested. Anyone got anything bad to say about the movie? PQ? AQ?

Thanks,
Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Any group buys for the UK? Im looking to pick this movie up. And would be interested. Anyone got anything bad to say about the movie? PQ? AQ?

Thanks,
Several folks commented that it is somewhat underwhelming in Kannisto's Film 4 UK Titles thread, which was moved to HD Import Reviews sub forum -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
I watched The Motorcycle Diaries last night. I liked the movie very much. The PQ however is not a great showcase of HD, the movie seems to have been shot very much guerrilla style using available light and there are many soft and grainy looking scenes. Some of the outdoor scenes in good light look the best and the cinematography is often impressive, but the picture is never extremely sharp. I think it's all because of the way the film has been shot and the film stock rather than anything to do with the transfer itself. I still liked the look of the movie and there weren't any distractions in the PQ that would have looked like flaws in the transfer itself. I haven't seen this on SD DVD so I can't compare the two...

So this one will not work as a showcase of great PQ but I think it's still worth getting if you are interested in the movie itself.

The AQ was fully adequate though this is not a film that makes any special use of surrounds. I liked a lot of the music in the film.
I'm not a fan of Che either, but I am a fan of the actor who played him - Gael García Bernal (Babel, Bad Education, Y tu mamá también, Amores Perros) and have the DVD. I was looking forward to the HD DVD for the South American scenery and the music, but it sounds like a mediocre transfer and at the price, I'll pass.

I don't know how much we'll save with a Group Buy with Amazon UK - I ordered two titles from them last week and I think the "base cost" for 1 item is £3, and raises about £1 for each additional item. But, if there is a group buy, I might be in for Twenty Thousand Streets Under The Sky.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post

Thanks,
I'd give the PQ 3/5 or so. Excellent movie however and to me it's worth it.

Really no need to have a group buy for the UK as shipping to the US is very reasonable (about $6 for one movie and $8 for two). Also it's available on Xploited.com but I think it may be a few bucks more.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 PM

I think it's not the transfer that's the problem but the original source materials appear to be quite variable and the movie has been shot in a very low tech style, I think that's the reason for less than stellar looking PQ. I think it's a very good movie and especially if you haven't seen it yet or don't already own it on DVD, it's definitely worth getting.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
I think it's not the transfer that's the problem but the original source materials appear to be quite variable and the movie has been shot in a very low tech style, I think that's the reason for less than stellar looking PQ. I think it's a very good movie and especially if you haven't seen it yet or don't already own it on DVD, it's definitely worth getting.
Thanks for clarifying that it's apparently the source material that does not lend itself to demo material. I agree that for those who don't have it already on DVD it's a terrific movie - great acting, enveloping story, great shots of South American scenery, & music so good the soundtrack is sold on CD.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Are there any extras on this disc or is it just the film?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:04 PM

I am waiting on this title from the UK (sendit.com). They have been perfect in announcements regarding that they are still trying to get this movie..I have high hopes I will get this someday.