Torchwood HD DVD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Torchwood HD DVD?

Play.com has a listing for Torchwood HD DVD pre-order. If this is true I'll have to pick it up. No listing on Amazon.uk yet
Quote:
Torchwood: Complete Series 1 (HD DVD)

John Barrowman, Eve Myles & Burn Gorman

39.99 Free Delivery

Pre-order. | Due for release on 30/06/2008

The 21st Century is when it all changes and you've got to be ready... - Captain Jack Harkness.

Set in modern-day Cardiff, Torchwood stars John Barrowman as Captain Jack from Doctor Who.

Captain Jack and a group of renegade criminal investigators are charged by the British government to find and retrieve alien technology and respond to any extra-terrestrial threats posed to Earth!

Episodes Comprise:

1. Everything Changes
2. Day One
3. Ghost Machine
4. Cyberwoman
5. Small Worlds
6. Countrycide
7. Greeks Bearing Gifts
8. They Keep Killing Susie
9. Random Shoes
10. Out Of Time
11. Combat
12. Captain Jack Harkness
13. End Of Days

PS thanks to someone on amazon.com for posting this.

Last edited by The_Doctor; 04-17-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 PM

They do have the Blu-ray up on Amazon so..... is it possible that the HD DVD release was cancelled?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 PM

True. If I remember right they were slow to list BeoWulf too. Or maybe it was another HD title.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:34 AM

If you do a group order please "PM" me.. I do remember reading that one or two English studio's were going to be releasing new HD-DVD in the months to come??? I know I may be getting my hopes up.. but it would be nice!
--David
Old 04-17-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD2955 View Post
If you do a group order please "PM" me.. I do remember reading that one or two English studio's were going to be releasing new HD-DVD in the months to come??? I know I may be getting my hopes up.. but it would be nice!
--David
I think Play.com is UK or EU shipping only.
I went to the BBC store website, they have the Blu Torchwood listed and no HD, so I wrote to them to ask if it will be made available.
The BBC could be one of the few to buck the trend of shunning HD, although I admit it does not look too likely right now. The Only thing in HD's favor is how well HD owners have demonstrated a proclivity to buy BBC HDs, like Planet Earth.

I've done some searching and could not find any more out about this except for this Blog entry
Quote:
Torchwood Still Hitting HD-DVD?

Play.com have today listed Torchwood : Series 1 as down for release on 30th June as a pre-order, they recently this week cleaned up their coming soon section to remove previously cancelled titles and today added the BBC title as a pre-order.

We are still not 100% on this coming out, originally it was planned to hit day and date with the Blu-Ray version but with no news and only a listing of Torchwood BD on the BBC site it seemed destined to never be released.....

I've added it to the UK coming soon and UK exclusive lists until we hear more, but here's hoping the BBC are still supporting HD a little while longer!

Posted by Jay at 4/16/2008 05:57:00 PM
Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Got a response from the BBC Store, which doesn't answer the question. In fact it was suggested I check back regularly for new listings.
Quote:
BBC Shop is not responsible for any decisions regarding commissioning of new formats. Any queries should be directed to:

BBC Commissioning Editor
3rd Floor
2 Entertain Ltd
33 Foley Street
London
W1W 7TL

Please note that enquiries can only be made by post.
We suggest you periodically check on the 'new release' section of the
BBC Shop using the link below, as you will find a regularly updated list
of forthcoming BBC titles there.
http://www.bbcshop.com/icat/homenewreleases
Anyone in the UK want to write the BBC?
Old 04-19-2008, 02:48 PM

It doesn't appear that play.com (UK) will ship to the USA.
There is a playusa.com linked from play.com but they don't list Torchwood Season One in any format.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc-in-ct View Post
It doesn't appear that play.com (UK) will ship to the USA.
There is a playusa.com linked from play.com but they don't list Torchwood Season One in any format.
Thats right Play dont ship to the US or outside the EU for that matter, the Playusa link is not what you might think, its for US imports for EU buyers, pretty decent prices on some stuff too!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:13 PM

I read, and even posted links to articles in which BBC announced Torchwood in both hd dvd and BD. I can't find anyplace where the Beeb has revised that announcement. Also, after Warner's announcement that they were going Blue, BBC announced that they would remain neutral, based on high sales numbers for
"Planet Earth," among others. To date, I have not heard an announcement to the contrary.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_D_Sahdd View Post
I read, and even posted links to articles in which BBC announced Torchwood in both hd dvd and BD. I can't find anyplace where the Beeb has revised that announcement. Also, after Warner's announcement that they were going Blue, BBC announced that they would remain neutral, based on high sales numbers for
"Planet Earth," among others. To date, I have not heard an announcement to the contrary.
That is correct, though when even the BBC doesnt list the HD version of Torchwood on the BBC shop site and has listed the Blu-ray version then its no surprise there are doubts flying around esp in the state HD is in.....

Though as you say no announcement has been made either way regarding the BBC's decision to carry on with HD or not I suppose we can take this as a good thing, though not all companys have to or want to publically announce their decision to cancel certain projects.