Anyone know where I can get Patlabor 1 and 2 on HD for a good price? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Anyone know where I can get Patlabor 1 and 2 on HD for a good price?

These are the last two titles I have left to add to my collection but all the online shops still seem to think that $90+ is warranted for these. Anyone come across a site that's realized HD DVD is dead and has priced them accordingly?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 PM

In looking at the sources listed for it in the first page of the "Info on Import HD DVD titles" sticky thread, YesAsia says availability for both titles is 7-14 days. You might check the other sources listed.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 PM

yeah I think the going rate for anime is like a buck a minute, so those Japanese drawer guys are probably drawing pretty good paychecks.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 PM

Unless it is the Freedom series which is $8.99 for the first minute and $1.79 for each additional minute charged discreetly to your Visa or Mastercard as "HD Addiction Anonymous"
Old 04-15-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
In looking at the sources listed for it in the first page of the "Info on Import HD DVD titles" sticky thread, YesAsia says availability for both titles is 7-14 days. You might check the other sources listed.
Thanks but I've checked all of those sources for months now. In fact several have actually increased their prices since Kannisto made that list. The cheapest option from those retailers is HMV which is $81 US each...add about $20 for international shipping and dropping almost $200 for 2 movies I already own on VHS, DVD, and last year's special edition DVDs, is hardly justified given the very minor improvement that HD/BR offer for animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post
Unless it is the Freedom series which is $8.99 for the first minute and $1.79 for each additional minute charged discreetly to your Visa or Mastercard as "HD Addiction Anonymous"
Which is insane. Bandai is out of their damn minds with Freedom. Purchasing the entire series at retail will cost $280...for 210 minutes of animation....that's just insane! And since you can only get volumes 4+ directly from Bandai I'll be abstaining from Freedom until reality sets in and they offer the series for something more reasonable (like $100 for all 7 volumes).
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 PM

Nope. They were both on eBay recently but I was outbid. I then asked Tony at Xploited and he said that they best he would be able to do is ~$110 each.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Some of the Bandai Visual releases are sometimes available in Tokyo 2nd hand stores (used, but usually in perfect condition) for 5000-6000 yen but that's the cheapest I've seen, and almost always when the 2nd hand stores have some of those, they have only the BD versions. I recently bought Patlabor 2 HD DVD (as new) from Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara and I had to pay 8300 yen for it (but I got 10% "payback" in store points). I bought Patlabor 1 earlier on BD 2nd hand for something like 5000-6000 yen.

The availability of those HD DVD versions in B&M stores has always been quite limited, I think no store has big numbers of those sets that they'd want to dump at low prices.