Sexy Beast Worth Buying??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-11-2008, 02:43 PM

Default Sexy Beast Worth Buying???

Tony at Xploited just put up all the UK Channel 4 's up on his site. The only title that looks interesting to me is "Sexy Beast", anybody wanna comment on the PQ and AQ of this disc???? I'm very interested in buying this , but it would be a complete blind buy for me.

Kannisto? Bruceames???

Should I buy it?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 09:28 PM

I haven't watched this yet, but I just sampled about 10 minutes and it looks very sharp to me. Sound is good from what I heard as well. I'd say at least 4/5 PQ, so go for it.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 PM

Yes. Even if only for the cast and the script. Great film.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

I cheaped out a week ago and bought an SD DVD copy for $10 at Deepdiscount
Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhefer1 View Post
I cheaped out a week ago and bought an SD DVD copy for $10 at Deepdiscount
What a waste...lol

I force myself to never buy Standard DVD's anymore.........sometimes it's hard, but once you go Hi-Def..........you can't go back.

THE MIST.....................almost got me. This needs a release soon!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Formerly peterhefer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULL74 View Post
What a waste...lol

I force myself to never buy Standard DVD's anymore.........sometimes it's hard, but once you go Hi-Def..........you can't go back.

THE MIST.....................almost got me. This needs a release soon!!!
yeah well, I'm still not as HD crazy as some here, I have 500 sd dvd's and only rebought abought 5-6 on hd, don't get me wrong though I love crisp hd media over 200 discs now, although I do occasionally I still have a rough time blind buying a movie for $35+ when I can grab an sd copy for cheap.

Anyway's back to the topic, I'll post my opinion as soon as I get the movie.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:55 AM

I watched it this week and I think the PQ was overall about 4 stars out of 5. Audio quality is fine as well. No problems in quality of transfer with this release I think, it's just a question of how much you enjoy the movie itself. I like it especially because of Ben Kingsley's memorable performance. It's not a perfect movie but pretty interesting.

I commented about it in the Film 4 title impressions earlier but my comment about it seems to have been lost when the site had that technical problem. Anyway, I wrote pretty much the same stuff there as I wrote above.

I think there's some chance that Amazon UK might drop the price of this one like they did with "Touching the Void" so it might be worth keeping an eye on their price as well.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 PM

Okay, I'm almost ready to order this. lol One last question...........what type of movie would you catagorize this under?? Mystery? Suspense? Drama? Pyschological thriller? Art house?

Peace
Old 04-12-2008, 09:05 PM

As always, I agree with kannisto's thoughts on Sexy Beast. I just got done watching it about an hour ago. I thought it was very entertaining and I'm quite happy with this blind buy. Many people have commented on Ben Kingsly's role but I enjoyed Ray Winstone's much more. But the two of them steal the movie performance-wise, hands down.

As for genre, I think it's a dark comedy mafia movie. The plot doesn't focus on the heist so much as the interactions of the characters involved in it. It's funny and witty with some crime and romance elements tossed in. I think the opening minute of the movie was the best, Ray Winstone was hillarious
Old 04-12-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBULL74 View Post
Okay, I'm almost ready to order this. lol One last question...........what type of movie would you catagorize this under?? Mystery? Suspense? Drama? Pyschological thriller? Art house?

Peace
Yeah, it's difficult to categorize as it's many things at once. In my view it's a British crime thriller with dark, romantic and comedic elements It certainly has elements of a psychological thriller but it's also many other things at the same time.