Is German import Death Sentence (2007) worth the price? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Is German import Death Sentence (2007) worth the price?

It would be a blind buy for me. From what I've read most people liked the movie but didn't love it.
Are the extras in English?
How about PQ and AQ?

I take it the BD version is non-US region but obviously the HD DVD is good to go.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 AM

I have the and love it. Kevin Bacon gives a really gripping performance in this movie. The movie contains alot of violence and at times goes over the top, but overall you enjoy the ride and feel for (Bacon) throughout the film. The PQ was pretty solid, I give it a solid 4. I think the visual style of this film was purposely shot in a gritty way to enhance the urban feel. The contrast of the film was overblown and tweaked some by the director's intent. The overall looks fantastic and has great detail and depth.

Highly recommended! Is it worth the price? That's your call, but I think it's.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:54 AM

I have to disagree. Even if the PQ and AQ is great on the HD DVD I saw it at the theater and I was fine watching it once but it's not something I'd ever watch more than once, so owning it would be pointless, especially at the price you would have to pay in the U.S. to get it. The movie itself is fine up until a point, but at one place it loses all realism and goes a nutty route. Of course this is all in my opinion, so you have to make up your own mind.
My advice? Rent it on SD and see if you like it for yourself before you take the HD plunge. It may end up costing you another $3 if you do buy it on HD, or it could save you $30+ if you don't.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmil978 View Post
My advice? Rent it on SD and see if you like it for yourself before you take the HD plunge. It may end up costing you another $3 if you do buy it on HD, or it could save you $30+ if you don't.
Good advice. That's what I did with Equilibrium & The Machinist - I'd never seen either movie, so I rented the DVD from Blockbuster Online to see if I liked them enough to spring for the HD import. (No to Machinist, yes on Equilibrium)

My copy arrived this morning from the Amazon Germany Group Import. I'll try to take a look & post my impressions, but, Geez, it was like Christmas in April today - 16 HD DVDs & The Tudors Blu-ray all arrived today from the Group Import, my own Amazon.de purchase, cheap Weinstein HDs from Deep Discount, and a couple of trades.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Good advice. That's what I did with Equilibrium & The Machinist - I'd never seen either movie, so I rented the DVD from Blockbuster Online to see if I liked them enough to spring for the HD import. (No to Machinist, yes on Equilibrium)

My copy arrived this morning from the Amazon Germany Group Import. I'll try to take a look & post my impressions, but, Geez, it was like Christmas in April today - 16 HD DVDs & The Tudors Blu-ray all arrived today from the Group Import, my own Amazon.de purchase, cheap Weinstein HDs from Deep Discount, and a couple of trades.
Great stuff I only got 9 discs today myself, those 5 Film 4 discs and 4 discs from Australia (Paramount sales titles). It felt like a small Christmas as well

As for the original OP's question - I have Death Sentence and I think it was worth the price, I paid around 20 EUR for it from Amazon Germany originally + shipping (I ordered it with another disc to split the shipping cost impact). I enjoyed it pretty much as good action entertainment. It might not have huge replay value but for me that's not so important as long as I enjoy it when I watch it the first time. I watch most movies only once in any case as I always have a large buffer of new movies waiting to be watched. It's not a great classic but I thought it had good entertainment value.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I think a SD rental is the best way to go for me. I tend to like these type of movies which is why I was seriously considering it in the first place but I would hate to think I wasted $30 if it has zero replay value. That is something I do want.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:03 PM

movie is ok the only problem i had with the German import is there is a part Kevin Bacon is talking to this guy in Spanish HD DVD only has German subtitles so you dont know what they are saying unless you know Spanish or you can read German
Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 PM

sorry wrong movie
Old 04-06-2008, 02:06 PM

I ordered it from amazon.de, but gave it away to a friend after watching it. Wasn't expecting much, but thought it was worse than expected. I was hoping for something along the lines of Death Wish, but what I got was closer to Class of 1984. Very cartoonish.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmil978 View Post
I have to disagree. Even if the PQ and AQ is great on the HD DVD I saw it at the theater and I was fine watching it once but it's not something I'd ever watch more than once, so owning it would be pointless, especially at the price you would have to pay in the U.S. to get it. The movie itself is fine up until a point, but at one place it loses all realism and goes a nutty route. Of course this is all in my opinion, so you have to make up your own mind.
I agree with this. I got this a few weeks ago. I ended up liking it, but can't say I love it. PQ is great and all, but IMO the story goes a little over the top and loses itself. I agree that a rental is the best way to go. I can't say I regret buying it, but I will say I wish I didn't pay so much for it (probably $32ish or something like that)

Good to hear your impressions of Machinist "CochiseGuy". Although I love the movie, considering the price of the import, it's not something I could tell someone to blind buy. That's one I definitely recommend viewing before blind buying at the $45+ price tag.