Ordering My Final Imports--Need Advice! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 PM

Default Ordering My Final Imports--Need Advice!

Ok I have ordered WAY too many HD DVDs in the past month. I mean I really have a serious problem I believe.
and my bank account has finally said only 1 more order.
so I'm looking to get maybe 3 more titles. I have gotten "Equilibrium" and "T2" already. I also own "Mulholland", "400 Blows", "Ran", "Elephant Man", Army of Shadows", "La Haine", and a few others. So what should I get? The one's in contention are
"The Gift"
"XXX"
"Fragile"
"Triplets of Belleville"
"Leaving Las Vegas"
"Arizona Dream"
plus any others that people may think I am really missing out on.
btw: I can't do the WWII series. Just too expensive.
Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Oh I forgot one thing. Anybody have or seen "Total Recall" or "Basic Instinct" on bd? and have the HD DVD imports. How do these compare? I have a bd player so I need to know which one's are better.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Ok I have ordered WAY too many HD DVDs in the past month. I mean I really have a serious problem I believe.
so I'm looking to get maybe 3 more titles. I have gotten "Equilibrium" and "T2" already. I also own "Mulholland", "400 Blows", "Ran", "Elephant Man", Army of Shadows", "La Haine", and a few others. So what should I get? The one's in contention are
"The Gift"
"XXX"
"Fragile"
"Triplets of Belleville"
"Leaving Las Vegas"
"Arizona Dream"

Oh I forgot one thing. Anybody have or seen "Total Recall" or "Basic Instinct" on bd? and have the HD DVD imports. How do these compare? I have a bd player so I need to know which one's are better.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm expecting a call from Wells Fargo any minute asking "What the hell are you doing????". I've ordered 10 titles from Amazon German / Christopher's Group Import, 8 from EzyDVD Oz, and 6 from Deep Discount DVD the past few weeks.

Leaving Las Vegas is pretty poor PQ, barely an improvement over upconverted DVD. I have Arizona Dream coming, but haven't seen it yet.

I sold my Total Recall BD when I got it on HD DVD, the HD is a nice improvement in PQ and AQ; I barely noticed any pitch issue a few scenes. I have Basic Instinct on BD, never seen the HD, but Josh Z did a review of the HD import on DVDTalk that said the pitch issues were so bad on that one it sounded like the actors inhaled helium before saying their lines. So I stayed away from the HD; Sharon Stone flashing the beaver looks good enough on .
Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM

You should get ''La mome'' (la vie en rose) which is an excellent movie, available from xploited or amazon.fr
Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
"The Gift"
"XXX"
"Fragile"
"Triplets of Belleville"
"Leaving Las Vegas"
"Arizona Dream"

I'd say go with Triplets De Belleville and Leaving Las Vegas. Both are good movies. Triplets is amazing looking and Leaving Las Vegas is a slight upgrade from the DVD.

From everything I read, the PQ on Total Recall HD-DVD is better but if you are bothered by the audio pitch thing, you should avoid it.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 PM

what about "Renaissance"?
and is UK "Total Recall" the same as the French version?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Arizona Dream is a must-have.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 PM

I'd recommend Fragile, Triplets of Belleville, Tideland, or Brotherhood of the Wolf.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Renaissance is excellent, I really enjoyed it. The Triplets of Belleville totally trumps it but Renaissance comes recommended, as well. Total Recall is the same disc from any country you import it from (U.K., France, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, etc...)
Old 03-26-2008, 08:33 PM

I would definitely get Triplettes, that one's a gem in both content and PQ/AQ. Rotten Tomatoes has it 93% and Tony is the only source left for this HD DVD exclusive as it's out of print. So it may become collectible. La Mome is on my To Get list, but like everyone else I'm broke from buying too many imports, so that'll have to wait until next month. Others I'd recommend (that Tony stocks) are:

Brotherhood of the Wolf
Elephant's Dream
Fragile
Rescue Dawn
The Gift
Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I included it in my Amazon.de order, not yet received. IMDB gives it a 6.9/10; this user comment convinced me to order it -
Quote:
A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report, Blade Runner, Sin City and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow if you are a fan of any of these then this will be well worth checking out. The visuals are staggering. Yet much credit is also due to the crisp sound effects that take the form of humming futuristic weapons, suspenseful music, heavy raindrops and glass shards breaking. It's every tech-nerd's wet dream...

Quote:
It's the French Studio Canal transfer in English language packaging and menus.