Flyboys - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Flyboys and the resume feature

Last night I accidentally discovered that Flyboys would resume playing the movie if you pressed the stop button and then the play button. I've never seen this before with HD DVD's. Are there other HD DVD's that also do this?

Last edited by daddywags; 03-26-2008 at 02:00 AM. Reason: clarify subject
Old 03-20-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddywags View Post
Last night I accidentally discovered that Flyboys would resume playing the movie if you pressed the stop button and then the play button. I've never seen this before with HD DVD's. Are there other HD DVD's that also do this?
Afaik, all first batch HD DVDs by DFW. They first wave resembled a DVD, except for the PQ and AQ.
I don't any other titles with the capability to resume movies.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:45 PM

Yah why is that? Resume is a great feature.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:38 PM

I found out about this on accident. Had to stop the play back to answer the phone, resumed it 1/2 hour later right where I left off. Almost didn;t notice then did a double take. I don't get why more HDM didn't do this. Obviously it was possible. Maybe interactive features make in prohibitive
Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 AM

I was watching Son of Paleface tonight and discovered that it also has the resume feature working. In fact all the Bob Hope movies do. And the thing that is common to these and Flyboys is that they all are encoded in MPEG2! Maybe that's why Blu-ray started using MPEG2 for the first discs they produced. Maybe someone can check an early Blu-ray.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM

From what I can recall from the early days of HDM, the resume feature had to be authored by the studio when the disc was mastered. Some chose to do it, others did not. It was not mandatory. I THINK the bookmarking feature was required as part of the format spec, and while it's very cool, it's about three times as many steps.