Was I ripped off in a way? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2008, 03:22 AM

Default Was I ripped off in a way?

I won Perfumer: Story of a Murderer on eBay from the seller tsimonelli (I think that was their name). It appears they were part of Xploited Cinema so I trusted them, but I'm a bit concerned about my order.

The HD DVD was listed as Brand New, Never Been Opened. To me, this means Security tags on it and plastic wrapping that isn't shrink-wrap. And even more specifically, a case that is in pristine condition.

Well I finally got it today, and the case was in shrink-wrap with a black globe on the outside. I thought this was a bit strange that is was in shrink-wrap, but it;s all good.

Then I open it, and there are no stickers on it. No sticker on the side saying "Security Device Enclosed", nothing. Not even a sticker on the top that has the name of the movie.

I inspect the case, and there are small scratches all over the top. I thought that was really strange since this is supposed to be "Brand New, Sealed".

Finally I check the disc, and there are a few very minor scratches on it. Nothing unplayable, though. Just some scratches.

This would be all fine if Germany didn't put stickers on their HD DVDs and all that jazz, but the thing is my German Death Sentence came in the mail, and it had a sticker on the top, the case was in pristine condition, and the disc was obviously never played before. No scratches at all. So this means that Germany does do all that stuff still.

Is it possible that I might have been a little ripped off in a way? I was expecting to get the HD DVD in Brand New condition, no signs of previous usage...yet I get a seemingly used copy instead?

I paid $40 for it, I expected it to be new.

Anyone able to explain this?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:41 AM

If you're not happy you could say something, i'm sure you're within your rights especially as it was listed in that way. Trying to think what condition similar ones have come in, dont think they've have security tags or any other stickers, packaging apart from a shrink wrap/plastic wrapper on.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:41 AM

As far as I know, and I have imported tons of HD DVDs, is that only US releases has those annoying security stickers on the cover.

The HD DVD itself should be scratchfree though as long as it wasn't dislodged from the holder.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 AM

Yea man, that sucks. You should talk to him and tell him you are unhappy and see what he is willing to deal with. Unless it's no biggie then don't stress it, at least leave negative feedback and voice your disappointment.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:59 AM

I've watched the entire film now and it played perfectly fine.

It's not a huge deal to me. I was just curious what all of you thought.

What I was thinking is that maybe this copy was opened and checked to see if the disc was dislodged. Then they put it back on the nub and repackaged it. That 's what I'm thinking might have happened.

Not a huge deal either way, especially since it plays quite well

I will cut them some slack this time around

P.S. If German HD DVDs aren't supposed to have those stickers, why did my Death Sentence import have it? D:
Old 03-15-2008, 06:28 AM

Most import discs don't have any security stickers. I just got 5 Concorde discs from Amazon Germany which are still sealed and there are no security wrappers on any of them. Maybe in some rare cases they use them in some discs... It's mostly a U.S. only thing though. I don't remember any import that would have had them though I do have Death Sentence too. I don't specifically remember about that one though.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
I won Perfumer: Story of a Murderer on eBay from the seller tsimonelli (I think that was their name). It appears they were part of Xploited Cinema so I trusted them, but I'm a bit concerned about my order.
Yes, tsimonelli is Tony Simonelli, the owner of Xploited Cinema. He regularly has items for sale on eBay, but I've found they're usually listed with a "Buy it Now" price a few dollars more than buying them direct from the Xploited website (no doubt to cover eBay fees).

I have over a dozen import HD DVDs from France, the U.K., Germany & Poland and have never encountered a U.S. style security seal - and I think it's wonderful! The shrink wrap is also a little looser and thinner plastic - easy to remove with just your fingers (I always have a sharp pair of scissors handy to deal with US shrinkwrap & security seals).

I would have absolutely no concerns that anything bought from tsimonelli or Xploited is factory new, sealed, and 100% authentic.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 AM

I agree,ive bought hundreds of items from Tony and can tell you hes a VERY trustworthy guy. I would assume he double checked to make sure the disc didnt come loose.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:44 AM

I just got in Hero the other day from the Netherlands and it had a seal on the top
Old 03-15-2008, 10:53 AM

What's the quality on Hero like and is there definitely no english subs?