Atonement UK version - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM

Default Atonement UK version

Just watched the HD version and here are my views.

First off Atonement was my favourite film from last year so if I'm a bit biased then... tough. I waited for the HD version before buying but couldn't wait for the US combo version so the version I have is the UK edition. There are 3 parts to the film and all have their own distinct look, and I think the look of the HD transfer mirrors this.

The opening scenes are set in England during one of the hottest summers on record and the director obviously wanted to give a very bright look to the scenes, and indeed the brightness often subdues the colours which at times doesn't really lend itself to high def, and in some of the scenes I can't see a tremendous improvement of the standard dvd version. After the film moves to France the look of the film is richer and more colourful and it is only now that the sharpness of the transfer can be seen. Some of the landscape shots of France are beautiful and this section appears much sharper. The final third (including the scenes in the TV studio) are mostly indoor and are perfectly fine, with the hospital scenes being particularly nice.

Sonically the soundtrack is very nice, although it is quite front heavy and only rarely does the rest of the soundstage get a workout. It is an Oscar winning soundtrack though so if you enjoyed the music as I did you won't be disappointed.

The extras are identical to the standard version which were OK but would not encourage multiple viewings. All in all I give it a 4 for the video, 3.5 for the sound, and a 3 for the extras.

Definite buy for fans, wait till it comes down in price for others.

Last edited by Robston; 03-11-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 AM

Nice! I have the UK version on the way to me too, from Amazon UK. Shipped on the 8th. I hope to get it tomorrow or Friday.