Sweeney Todd UK? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 AM

Default Sweeney Todd UK?

I know it may be a stupid question at this point but since Warner is releasing "Sweeney Todd" in the UK on BD, do you guys think there is any chance of a HD version as well?
I think they are releasing it in May so it's still before the cut off date.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
I know it may be a stupid question at this point but since Warner is releasing "Sweeney Todd" in the UK on BD, do you guys think there is any chance of a HD version as well?
I think they are releasing it in May so it's still before the cut off date.
I don't know if Warner is applying the same policy worldwide. In Japan they just cancelled everything HD DVD and that's it, last one (No Reservations) came out end of February...

Here's a link for Sweeney Todd HD DVD in sendit.com:

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7001000142705

Status of that entry there is not too promising though:
Quote:
Deleted
This item was recently deleted in the UK, but we may still be able to get stock of it.
Released: 9th Jun 2008
They have a BD version for 19th of May.
http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7001000142500

I don't know how good the chances are but better than zero I guess. I hope for the best.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 AM

if sweeney todd arrives on dvd and blu-ray the hd dvd will follow 3 weeks , if the movie arrives in may....
Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samlives View Post
if sweeney todd arrives on dvd and blu-ray the hd dvd will follow 3 weeks , if the movie arrives in may....
At least in Japan it doesn't work that way, Warner just dropped HD DVD releases that were already announced. 8 in total were cancelled while the same BD releases remain.

I hope they follow that policy through in UK though.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samlives View Post
I know this may sound like a stretch but I am quite confident Warner would continue to release on HD DVD. The only "proof" I have is their historical record back when DVD had established itself against LaserDisc and Warner being the pioneer studio to release almost exclusively on DVD, they kept pressing LD titles and releasing knowing the higher cost. The ones I remember are Batman and Robin and LA Confidential. There is always hope that Warner would do what's best for Warner - make money and that would include releasing titles on HD DVD.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash333 View Post
The ones I remember are Batman and Robin...
Which, I am embarrassed to admit, I bought on LD.

I think Warner's ADDITION of "PS I Love You" to their US HD DVD slate today is a good sign; they're not just begrudgingly sticking to their announced releases. I'm a bit worried about the cancelled Japanese releases but the market there went so overwhelmingly BD, they may not see a market there.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoBruin View Post
Which, I am embarrassed to admit, I bought on LD.

I think Warner's ADDITION of "PS I Love You" to their US HD DVD slate today is a good sign; they're not just begrudgingly sticking to their announced releases. I'm a bit worried about the cancelled Japanese releases but the market there went so overwhelmingly BD, they may not see a market there.
Don't be, we are after all early adopters of all things good in cinema and technology .

The Japanese market though overwhelmingly BD still shows contradicting behavior. The Japanese HD DVD releases of BOB, Equilibruim, Reign of Fire and Brothers Grimm are exceedingly difficult to find even though I read somewhere that they were pressed in the tens of thousands of copies. In the Band of Brothers case, there was an alleged second pressing. Maybe the international market is scooping up these Japanese releases. I strongly believe many studio executives failed to appreciate these channels of revenue. With globalization, most non-US markets will dip into the US inventory and vice versa. Plan and manage the releases worldwide accordingly, the studios could very well make HDM their next cash cow. But it is now heading towards a niche status!