Any difference between Uk and French Brotherhood of the Wolf? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Default Any difference between Uk and French Brotherhood of the Wolf?

So I noticed a few shops still have the UK version of this film, and I was wondering if there was any difference between the UK and French versions. I already have the French version, but I wouldn't mind at all dropping the cash for the UK version if there were any additional features. Anyone know?

EDIT: On a side note, did Gans' Crying Freeman ever get an HD release anywhere?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Same disc. Different cover art.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Same disc. Different cover art.
Cool, thanks!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinLupinSan View Post
So I noticed a few shops still have the UK version of this film, and I was wondering if there was any difference between the UK and French versions. I already have the French version, but I wouldn't mind at all dropping the cash for the UK version if there were any additional features. Anyone know?

EDIT: On a side note, did Gans' Crying Freeman ever get an HD release anywhere?
i remembered reading from the review on this site about the uk version of this film which i know was put out by Optimum not studio canal like the french version...i bought the uk version becuase it has the directors cut...i'm not sure the french one does.......the wording in the review quote from below it seams to implie that the director cut was only avaible on the dvd....maybe someone who has the french version can confirm?

review quote

(Note that this British HD DVD release is pretty poorly mislabeled. Not only are the wrong audio tracks specified on the back of the box [see below for more on that], but the film's runtime is listed as 134 minutes, which would seem to would indicate that it is the trimmed UK version of the film, which excised about 8 minutes of footage from the film's original 142-minute runtime. In fact, this is the 150-minute Director's Cut of the film, which was previously released on standard-def DVD. Why Optimum World did not choose to advertise this very marketable extra remains a mystery.)
Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmanjay2 View Post
i remembered reading from the review on this site about the uk version of this film which i know was put out by Optimum not studio canal like the french version...i bought the uk version becuase it has the directors cut...i'm not sure the french one does.......the wording in the review quote from below it seams to implie that the director cut was only avaible on the dvd....maybe someone who has the french version can confirm?

review quote

(Note that this British HD DVD release is pretty poorly mislabeled. Not only are the wrong audio tracks specified on the back of the box [see below for more on that], but the film's runtime is listed as 134 minutes, which would seem to would indicate that it is the trimmed UK version of the film, which excised about 8 minutes of footage from the film's original 142-minute runtime. In fact, this is the 150-minute Director's Cut of the film, which was previously released on standard-def DVD. Why Optimum World did not choose to advertise this very marketable extra remains a mystery.)
I checked out my french version, the packaging states the run time is 142 minutes which is accurate if you exclude the closing credits. Including the credits the film actually runs 150 minutes....so I assume these versions are identical. Unless someone wants to pop in the UK version and see what the run time is when the credits begin to pop up and verify otherwise...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Noice, I love this movie. Where can one find each copy?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch2003 View Post
Noice, I love this movie. Where can one find each copy?
http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/br...e-p-11239.html
Old 03-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmanjay2 View Post

review quote

Optimum's disc is the same as Studio Canal's when it comes to the disc content. The French release is the director's cut too. We had some comparison discussions in AVS forum earlier and they were found out to be exactly the same. Runtime was identical etc.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
Optimum's disc is the same as Studio Canal's when it comes to the disc content. The French release is the director's cut too. We had some comparison discussions in AVS forum earlier and they were found out to be exactly the same. Runtime was identical etc.
Both the French and UK releases are the 152-minute Director's Cut. Both copies have mislabeled packaging. The packaging references the run times of the sped-up PAL DVD releases (further, the UK DVD is censored). The HD DVDs are not censored, have no speed-up, and run at the proper length with all Director's Cut content intact.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 PM

Old thread revival!

I have presently have 2 copies of Brotherhood: 1 UK and 1 French.

The story: I traded away the first copy I had (French) and regretted the trade immediately. I subsequently bought another copy. The replacement copy that came in the mail (also French) was in a badly cracked, non-original case (Warner-style, complete with Warner inserts). I wanted the disc to be in an original-stlye case, so I bought another copy (the 3rd copy if you're keeping track) just to see what the original style case should have looked like. I couldn't remember what the case from the first copy I traded away looked like - so I had to find a copy to compare against. The plan was to replace the badly damaged case with an original style case then to resell 1 of the copies since I only need 1 copy for my collection. To my suprise when the next copy (copy 3) of the disc came in the mail, I found it to be a UK copy, not a French copy.

So here's the dilema: The UK and French editions of this disc are slightly different. The cover art, disc case, and printing on the disc are different, the content is the same. Do I keep both or sell/trade one of them? I'm kind of tempted to keep both, but I really don't need more than 1.

If decide to sell/trade 1, which 1 do I keep?

Is one version more rare than the other?

What stlye case does the french version actually come with from the manufacturer?

Thanks for input!