HMV Japan 20% Off "Sale" (Not Really) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Default HMV Japan 20% Off "Sale" (Not Really)

I'm posting this in both the HD DVD and Blu-ray import forums, since the "sale" affects both formats.
---

HMV Japan has been advertising a "Buy 2 High-Def Discs, Get 20% Off" sale. I thought this would be a great opportunity to pick up some Japanese discs I'd been holding off buying due to price. When I visited the site, I found most Blu-ray and HD DVD listings actually say "Buy 2, Get 25% Off". Even better, right?

Unfortunately, not really. HMV is calculating the 20% from MSRP, not from their regular list prices. Also, despite numerous references on the site to the sale being 25% off, when you do the math that's never the case. All discs are discounted exactly 20% from MSRP. The actual discount off HMV's regular price is around 11%. Not nearly as appealing, considering how expensive Japanese discs are.

I like HMV and have ordered from them several times in the past, but this "sale" just strikes me as being very misleading and deceptive. Buyer beware.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:43 PM

It's no different then when Amazon use to send me emails every few weeks saying "30% OFF ALL HD-DVDS!!!!!!" when in reality it was their normal prices which were 30% off MSRP
Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 PM

Yeah, HMV has had that 20% off "sale" for a while already with some referencing claiming incorrectly it to be 25% off. Actually the standard prices were 20% off until recently but now they seem to offer that 20% off only if you order 2 titles or more at a time. Also other Japanese online sites reduced their discounts recently, I was checking the prices of some discs and HMV's 20% off was actually the best deal there was for many titles.

I think they should remove those 25% off references because they are clearly wrong in any case, but they've been wrong there for at least a month already.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 AM

This "sale" got me to buy Band of Brothers 1-5. Hopefully they'll all ship, otherwise I'm kinda screwed. They were a bit cheaper then they have been in the past and I couldn't pass them up anymore with HD-DVD being dead. I figure I can always sell them and get my money back.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM

I checked the site after seeing this thread, and yup Band of Brothers caught my eye too, just wish I had'nt spent so much money on these firesales, if I can afford it I may just get it, are the menus in english or just Japanese?