Casshern coming to HD DVD in Italy! How can I contact Dolmen to beg for English Subs? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 247
Default Casshern coming to HD DVD in Italy! How can I contact Dolmen to beg for English Subs?

I can't believe one of the cooler Japanese Live Action films, Casshern (not that it's without it's issues mind you, but the imagery and fight scenes are awesome), is coming out on HD DVD in Italy of all places in a week!

http://ukhddvd.blogspot.com/2007/09/...titles_22.html

So far the listing say that no English subs are being included and it's distributed by Dolmen Home Video. Does any have contact info for this company? If they be willing to add the massive 5 mb file it would take for English subs they'd literally triple their sales due to the import hunger HD supporters here in North America and elsewhere. Sure I realize it's incredibly unlikely this will happen, but it can't hurt to ask.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
If they be willing to add the massive 5 mb file it would take for English subs they'd literally triple their sales due to the import hunger HD supporters here in North America and elsewhere.
You do realize that they need to pay for having English subs right? It's not that they can download a 5 mb file, put it on the disc and done
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diederik View Post
You do realize that they need to pay for having English subs right? It's not that they can download a 5 mb file, put it on the disc and done
A company has to pay to do their own translation and add it to the disc? Ummm...yeah I really kind of doubt that their licensing agreement restricts the addition of English subtitles. Especially given the abundance of them in European releases. But here's a thought...let's come up with an e-mail address and find out for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinLupinSan View Post
A company has to pay to do their own translation and add it to the disc? Ummm...yeah I really kind of doubt that their licensing agreement restricts the addition of English subtitles. Especially given the abundance of them in European releases. But here's a thought...let's come up with an e-mail address and find out for sure.
I'm sure they're allowed to do so - it just costs extra money which they won't earn back on the few copies they sell as export.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diederik View Post
I'm sure they're allowed to do so - it just costs extra money which they won't earn back on the few copies they sell as export.
You've got to be kidding! You can bang out a translation in a day and considering that the timing is already done for the italian and other subtitles you could use the same timing with minimal tweaks and have the whole process done within two days max. Considering that fansubbers do this kind of work for anime in 1-2 days there's no excuse for paid professionals not to be able to do the same. And you can't possibly tell me that the several thousand copies they'd sell to the US alone wouldn't justify the extra effort. How many HD DVD players are even in the Italian market? Probably a few thousand at best. There's no way this would be wasted effort, they'd easily double or even triple their sales just by adding an English sub track.

Anyone have an e-mail address? It really can't hurt us to ask them. I went over their site and couldn't find a contact page, but I don't speak italian either....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Sporadic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinLupinSan View Post
You've got to be kidding! You can bang out a translation in a day and considering that the timing is already done for the italian and other subtitles you could use the same timing with minimal tweaks and have the whole process done within two days max. Considering that fansubbers do this kind of work for anime in 1-2 days there's no excuse for paid professionals not to be able to do the same. And you can't possibly tell me that the several thousand copies they'd sell to the US alone wouldn't justify the extra effort. How many HD DVD players are even in the Italian market? Probably a few thousand at best. There's no way this would be wasted effort, they'd easily double or even triple their sales just by adding an English sub track.

Anyone have an e-mail address? It really can't hurt us to ask them. I went over their site and couldn't find a contact page, but I don't speak italian either....
I don't think you actually realize just how niche HDM is, let alone importing.

Same with contracts, disc authoring and disc printing.

If it's a week away from release, the disc has already been mastered and printed. There's no real way to "just add a 5mb file" unless they already have the ability for downloadable content and I'd imagine that there is stuff in the licensing contract that prevents them from doing a hack-job translation for English subtitles without permission from the parent company (or possibly against them adding English subs at all)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 247
Default

Ok I get it! None of you think it's possible because of X, Y, or Z. Thanks for contributing! Now is there anyone who can have the courtesy to point me in the right direction to an e-mail address for this company? With the recent changes in HD in the last two weeks this may even be delayed or canceled outright, but I'd still like to offer the suggestion to them regardless.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-29-2008, 04:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 262
Default

I once read in a German forum that subtitles were around 2.000 EUR each. For a small company it's a lot of money considering they don't earn much by selling HD DVDs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Casshern (Italy - Dolmen) impressions and pics kannisto HD DVD Import Reviews 7 01-21-2013 02:17 AM
Casshern/Goemon [DE] (No English) ahsoka Blu-ray Imports Subforum 10 06-07-2010 12:55 PM
Foreign films with English subs and/or English language track bruceames Blu-ray Imports Subforum 24 04-11-2009 04:39 AM
Dolmen Video and Mikado go HD DVD only (Italy) diabolo HD DVD Software General Discussion 32 02-04-2008 07:37 AM
english subs on SC titles gpavlin HD DVD Software General Discussion 2 05-19-2007 07:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off