Import Equilibrium from where?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-28-2008, 04:16 AM

Default Import Equilibrium from where??

Hey, I am trying to import the japanese HD DVD Equilibrium (called Rebellion over there). I am just wondering where I can get it, its not up at amazon.jp or xploited cinema. Thanks.

- Harrison F.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 AM

HMV Japan has been still able to get them in small numbers, currently it's not in stock there but they indicate they can usually get it in 7-10 days.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/1288981

Just 2 days ago or so they still had it in stock (though for a day or two only).
Old 02-28-2008, 04:45 AM

thanks but unfortunately I cannot read the japanese in order to set up a new account. I know it sounds stupid but how did you create your account?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfritz View Post
thanks but unfortunately I cannot read the japanese in order to set up a new account. I know it sounds stupid but how did you create your account?
HMV Japan has full English web page, just look for "English" option in the page.

Direct link to top level of their shop in English mode:
http://www.hmv.co.jp/?lang=en
Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 AM

How good is this movie? It looks bad ass on imdb...but that's the only info i could pull.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch2003 View Post
How good is this movie? It looks bad ass on imdb...but that's the only info i could pull.
I like it very much myself. When it first came out it received kind of mixed reviews but I think its fanbase has been growing over the years. I've seen mainly very positive comments about it as a movie in this forum and AVS forum. It has rather interesting themes about what it means to be human, emotions etc. in addition to having some great "gun-kata" action.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 AM

i will agree with kannisto, its a pretty bad ass movie, it came out around the same time as the matrix so it got kinda overshadowed, but when you watch it, i thought that alot of the fights are actually better than many of the ones in the matrix, that and bale can actually act, unlike Reeves.

Soup
Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch2003 View Post
Mini Review:

Synopsis by Cinema.com

In the nation of Libria, there is always peace among men. The rules of the Librian system are simple. If you are happy, you will be arrested. If you cry, the law will hunt you down. If you read a contraband book or so much as look at a smuggled painting, you've committed a criminal sin, skip your enforced medicine and your life will be over.

This is the shocking futuristic world of EQUILIBRIUM, a razor-sharp action-thriller set in a future where emotion has been banned as the very root of crime and war. To keep the peace, citizens must take their daily dose of Prozium, a powerful designer drug that stops feelings dead and keeps everyone on an even keel. Refuse to take the drug, and special police, trained in Gun-Kata, a unique form of deadly martial art combat, go on the hunt.
Up until now, top-ranking government official John Preston (Christian Bale) has believed in and upheld this system as a highly-trained "Cleric" who seeks out and destroys those who don't take their pills. But then he skips his own dose of Prozium - and discovers an incredible new world of sensation that gives him the passion to fight for freedom.

Writer/director Kurt Wimmer ("The Thomas Crown Affair") blends the brisk intelligence of a "what-if?" sci-fi scenario with the inventive action of a martial arts thriller in EQUILIBRIUM. In doing so, he creates a mind-boggling alternate reality that challenges not only what audiences think but what they feel as a man awakens to happiness, awe, love and fury for the first time, and rises up as a rebel warrior to overthrow the dictator who has outlawed it all.
EQUILIBRIUM features a dynamic young cast that includes Christian Bale, Taye Diggs and Emily Watson.

DVD FEATURES - Taken from Xploited Cinema
Anamorphic (16:9 1080 Hi-Def) Widescreen (2.35:1) Version
# English 5.1 Dolby Digital-Plus and Japanese Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Audio Options
# Optional Japanese subtitles
# Feature Commentary With Director Kurt Wimmer
# Feature Commentary With Director Kurt Wimmer and Producer Lucas Foster
# "Finding Equilibrium" featurette (English audio with unremovable Japanese subtitles)
# Trailers
# TV Spots
# "Gun Index"

Video/Audio
I don't have a major setup, just a standard 720p/1080i 32" setup. The movie looked very very good though presented at 1080i (in which the movie is encoded in). It's a dated HD release now, but still hold up very well. It's no reference material, but is very pleasing on the eyes. I'd personally rate the video quality as a 4.0/5.0

Audio wise I can't commit too much on because I have an ancient receiver than encodes DD-II or something like that. But the sound did sound very good in 5.1 surround. I'd rate at 4.0/5.0.

The main screens on Japanese hd dvds can be hard to navigate at times, but you can find tuts and instructions on sites such as AVS Forum.

If your a fan of the movie and Christian Bale in general (such as I) then I would rate this hd dvd import as a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

If you just want to add a nice import to your collection I would rate as RECOMMENDED

This disc will most likely eventually be extremely hard to get a hold of, so I would recommend getting your copy asap.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Can't wait to get my copy, probably be in today or tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
I like it very much myself. When it first came out it received kind of mixed reviews but I think its fanbase has been growing over the years. I've seen mainly very positive comments about it as a movie in this forum and AVS forum. It has rather interesting themes about what it means to be human, emotions etc. in addition to having some great "gun-kata" action.
Sounds sick I must say...I love seeing Bale in these movies too, he's a king. I am guessing I would love it...so we will see if I can get ahold of it...after I buy the at least other 20 HD's on my 'Have to Have' list .