The Graduate - UK vs. France - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Default The Graduate - UK vs. France

Can anyone compare/contrast the UK and French versions of the Graduate on HD? There are some deals right not on the UK version (at Amazon.co.uk and at Exploited) - but I'm wondering if it's a case of "you get what you pay for"... I've read the review of the French disc in the reviews section, but can anyone speak to the quality of the UK release? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjelmquist View Post
Can anyone compare/contrast the UK and French versions of the Graduate on HD? There are some deals right not on the UK version (at Amazon.co.uk and at Exploited) - but I'm wondering if it's a case of "you get what you pay for"... I've read the review of the French disc in the reviews section, but can anyone speak to the quality of the UK release? Thanks!
It should be the same version. I received UK version yesterday and im going to watch it tomorrow so then I can tell more about it.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:41 PM

This is the same exact HD-DVD as the French Studio Canal release. All of the menus and specifications of the DVD are identical. The only differences are the cover and the printing on the face of the DVD.

It says that right there on the bottom of the xploited description.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 PM

yeah I have owned the French version for some time.
Getting the UK release for $20 is a bargain imo.
EVERY single person on here should own this title imo.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

When are people going to learn that Studio Canal releases are identical to each other regardless of country.

Its the same thing over and over again. Which version of Rambo is better - French or Australian. Give it a rest people.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
yeah I have owned the French version for some time.
Getting the UK release for $20 is a bargain imo.
EVERY single person on here should own this title imo.
Yeah, Xploited has most UK titles on sale for $21.95 including The Graduate; Leaving Las Vegas was only $19.95 so I picked up both this week - unlike Josh Z, I like drunks.

(Just kidding)
Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 PM

yeah I'm considering getting "leaving..." also.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:54 PM

BlahDVD has The Graduate in stock at the cheapest price I know for it:

http://www.blahdvd.com/blah/HD_Produ...=HD-MP746HD-6A

Their overseas shipping for 1 disc is also just 1 UK pound.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX View Post
When are people going to learn that Studio Canal releases are identical to each other regardless of country.

Its the same thing over and over again. Which version of Rambo is better - French or Australian. Give it a rest people.
Well...excuse me. I only hope that you can overlook my ignorance and forgive me for wasting your valuable time. (Said with an extreme note of SARCASM)

Perhaps not with Studio Canal, but (at least with sd dvd) there often times is a drastic difference in quality between transfers from one region, country, etc, or another. Even when the disc is produced by the same studio. MGM is notorious for releasing inferior region 1 discs, usually ported over from their superior region 2 transfers.

If you haven't visited the sight http://www.dvdbeaver.com/ then I would encourage you to check it out. DVD Beaver hosts a vast list of comparisons of different releases of the same movie. Their goal - to recommend the very best (and most faithful, reference quality) transfer. I always try to research this type of info before buying any dvd, HD or otherwise.

If questions of this type are not worth your time, please, ignore my posts. Others were more then willing to respond with helpful comments.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaamies View Post
It should be the same version. I received UK version yesterday and im going to watch it tomorrow so then I can tell more about it.
Thanks, jaamies. I would greatly appreciate reading your review.