Just got Resident Evil 1 (german)....I can't hear anything? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Just got Resident Evil 1 (german)....I can't hear anything?

Am I stupid or something? I can get the fim to play in english. I set it on English DTS but the film plays in silence on my reciever. I can hear the english audio on my tv but for some reason it doesn't come out of my reciever. Yet if I watch with audio commentary I can her the commentary through my reciever? Anyone have this problem?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:50 PM

I don't know much about audio but I'd say it's a problem with your receiver set-up, not the disc. Someone else will be able to help you more
Old 02-16-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
I don't know much about audio but I'd say it's a problem with your receiver set-up, not the disc. Someone else will be able to help you more
I was thinking that but I haven't had a problem with any of my other HD DVDs. All the extras play fine though.... This is my first import.

thanks for the comment.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:26 PM

It depends on how many types of audio you've tried out. Dolby Digital Plus might play fine however your receiver may not be set up to handle DTS-HD.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM

What do you mean how many types of audio? Can I pick different ones on RE disc? I know my receiver doenst have DTS-HD but I have the a3 set to pcm and it plays all of my other 20 something HD DVDs flawlessly? Seems strange to me.

thanks for tips jester
Old 02-16-2008, 07:16 PM

Well like I said I don't really know much about this. I don't have a receiver and never have in the past. I just know that DTS-HD is the only audio track on the RE German import and here in the states I don't think there has ever been a disc that didn't have a standard DD+ track. Granted there might be a higher resolution audio track included but the DD+ is still always there. This isn't the convention in Europe. If this is the first import that you've tried to play then I'd say you've identified your problem because you've probably been using DD+ up until now.

I just looked at my disc and it looks like the commentary track is DD which is why you are able to hear it. Maybe you should list what receiver you're using and how you have it hooked up along with a list of how you have your settings right now. Maybe someone with more knowledge will be able to use that to help you. This of course assumes that your receiver will be able to output DTS-HD in the first place. You should find that out too
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
Well like I said I don't really know much about this. I don't have a receiver and never have in the past. I just know that DTS-HD is the only audio track on the RE German import and here in the states I don't think there has ever been a disc that didn't have a standard DD+ track. Granted there might be a higher resolution audio track included but the DD+ is still always there. This isn't the convention in Europe. If this is the first import that you've tried to play then I'd say you've identified your problem because you've probably been using DD+ up until now.

I just looked at my disc and it looks like the commentary track is DD which is why you are able to hear it. Maybe you should list what receiver you're using and how you have it hooked up along with a list of how you have your settings right now. Maybe someone with more knowledge will be able to use that to help you. This of course assumes that your receiver will be able to output DTS-HD in the first place. You should find that out too
yep you are right that has to be it damn...I wonder what the japenese version has on it.

thanks jester
Old 02-16-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplej96 View Post
yep you are right that has to be it damn...I wonder what the japenese version has on it.

thanks jester
Original English audio is only available with a DTS-HD audio track on the Japanese Resident Evil release (at 2046 Kbps, 16bit). A DD+ commentary track is also included.

Here's the earlier impressions thread on it:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31529
Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
Original English audio is only available with a DTS-HD audio track on the Japanese Resident Evil release (at 2046 Kbps, 16bit). A DD+ commentary track is also included.

Here's the earlier impressions thread on it:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31529
Damn thanks for the heads up. Are most imports like this do you know?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplej96 View Post
What do you mean how many types of audio? Can I pick different ones on RE disc? I know my receiver doenst have DTS-HD but I have the a3 set to pcm and it plays all of my other 20 something HD DVDs flawlessly? Seems strange to me.

thanks for tips jester
doesn't the a3 change things to dd?.. Oh wait, you using PCM, humm.
Can you try using optical output? That might help.