StudioCanal buys Kinowelt - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM

Default StudioCanal buys Kinowelt

Quote:
French movie powerhouse StudioCanal has officially bought up 100% of German independent distributor Kinowelt, the companies said Thursday.

The move makes StudioCanal the largest pan-European film distribution company with operations in the continent's three largest markets: France, Germany and the U.K., after the Gallic company bought Optimum Releasing in 2006.

"We're the only European company to have such a direct presence in the top three markets, "StudioCanal's chairman and CEO Olivier Courson told The Hollywood Reporter. With a stake in these three top territories, StudioCanal will control a market worth 3 billion euros ($4.4 billion) in boxoffice receipts and 7 billion euros ($10.2 billion) in home video sales. StudioCanal will add Kinowelt's 7,000-plus library titles to its already 5,000-strong catalog.

"Our priority is to develop our strategy in each of these three countries and band them together to create a European network," Courson said. StudioCanal is hoping to not only profit from Kinowelt's massive library of DVD rights and distribution benefits, but also aggressively develop the company's international production activities.

StudioCanal plans to invest 200 million euros ($292.2 million) per year in both local and international film production, over 30 million euros ($43.8 million) more than the group's current investment. "We're in a great position to develop international production. We want to be the choice for a European co-producer," Courson said.

He added: "We're going to partner more and more with the U.S. majors and take advantage of remake rights. This is our new strategy, and we're going to amplify it with the acquisition of Kinowelt." StudioCanal wholly funded Wong Kar Wai's "My Blueberry Nights" in 2006 and already has a slew of international co-productions in the works including Johnny To's next film featuring an international cast and a confidential "U.S. studio partner" and a prequel/remake of John Carpenter's "Escape From New York."

Kinowelt has been distributing StudioCanal's films in Germany for years, and the companies plan to extend their strong professional relationship. Michael and Rainer Kolmel will remain in their positions as senior advisers to Kinowelt, Michael for strategy and Rainer for acquisitions.

Both companies refused to comment on the price tag of the merger, rumored to be in the 70 million euro ($103 million) range.

The deal, signed late Wednesday night, will be officially set in motion "as quickly as possible," according to StudioCanal, which hopes to see the acquisition in place by the end of February or beginning of March.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...9ee74bfa8d4b93

Pretty cool stuff.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:20 PM

Cool! Good news for HD DVD
Isn't that the company producing the ultimate T2?
We might see that bad boy replacing the SC T2.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
Cool! Good news for HD DVD
Isn't that the company producing the ultimate T2?
We might see that bad boy replacing the SC T2.
This means Studio Canal has a new master for T2 to spread around Europe and Australia, exclusively on HD DVD, which is awesome news.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:23 PM

That's old news actually.

Yes, Kinowelt produces T2 Ultimate and mony other releases like SAW 1-4, Premonition, Jumper, etc.

But I seriously hope that SC will not force Kinowelt to put forced subtitles on DVD or HD DVD.
I don't understand why French distributors insist on forcing subs.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkde View Post
That's old news actually.

Yes, Kinowelt produces T2 Ultimate and mony other releases like SAW 1-4, Premonition, Jumper, etc.
Ah, I didn't notice the date on the article. I just saw this elsewhere and decided to spread the news.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM

hey are alos the distributor for Jumpers in Germany. Well see if that means they can distribute the DVD as well.

they've got some good titles, if they have dvd rights
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0035496/

EDIT` Oh, an old story.. Jan 18, 2008 is not that old. Still good news. Maybe this might encourage the inclusion of English subtitles
Old 02-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Kinowelt was already releasing on HD right? So really, this only means the possibility of faster releases, not movies we couldn't previously get in HD?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM

That imdb list includes Dark City . I was worried i'd never see it on hd. With optimum having uk rights to terminator 1 (they released the dvd at any rate), things are looking up, thanks to studiocanal.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

Like the OP, I am also just now hearing about this. This is very interesting indeed.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:00 PM

Man... I can't wait for Jumper. I just wished it wasn't slated to come out on the 14th. Maybe some of my friends will take me to see it on the weekend.