Just received The Island From UK - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Just received The Island From UK

I am so excited. One of my favorite sci fi films in the last few years.

I feel like a kid in a candy store. I am now de-virginized from imports.

I noticed that the case is 1.5 times thicker than regular cases. Cool looking stickers on the back as well. Holograms.

Now if Amazon UK would just do a bogo on all hd dvd's.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:03 PM

I got it yesterday from Amazon.UK. Your right about the case, its a thick one alright. The movie is worth every penny though. Looks amzing.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:37 PM

gosh you guys, ive got it coming from germany, but its gonna be a bit before it gets here....way to my wait even more impatient :P
Old 03-07-2008, 05:26 PM

How about that "raised" HD DVD logo on the front of the box? And the holograms are cool. If you have not watched it yet, be ready to be blown away by the look and sound of perfect (please no debates here about lossless audio). No matter people say about Michael Bay, that man is a wizard where it comes to pop corn movie entertainment. And sometimes he gets one like The Island that has a genuine storyline plus great movie making visuals.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 AM

Just finished the movie, it was a blind buy for me, and i loved it. Michael bay is proving to me that he can do more than make awesome special effects. Not only does he have great visual style, probably the best in the business, but he can put a little heart into his movies as well..Not quite up to Proyas' level, but who can touch him right? lol

on to the important bits
Video: A great transfer, almost up to the level of transformers i would say, bay's style is perfectly suited for high definition. The level of detail seen on close shots is superb and overall sharpness is very good as well, though it was dimmed a bit cause i had just watched crank, its still an amazing transfer one of the best i own.

Extra's: Very skimpy, only one making of thats around 14 minutes long, no commentary.

Audio: If this is possible i would say the sound is even better than the audio on this one. This is one of my favorite HD DVD's for audio now, right up there with Dawn of the Dead, The Matrix, Transformers, and Pan's Labyrinth. Very good use of surrounds and overall quality of the audio is very good and very precise. The sound really envelops you, especially when it needs to, read: during the awesome action scenes.

Overall: This film was a blind buy and worth every expensive penny it cost me, highly recommended. Favorite scene was, when they were on the truck dropping the train wheels.amazing action, this scene is on par with the freeway chase in the Matrix reloaded.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 AM

i've never seen this but it does sound interesting. perhaps i'll give it a chance.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:43 AM

Does anyone know if the German and UK version are the same? Picture wise.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 AM

ive got the german version so i cant be sure, but i believe they;re the same i read that somewhere, kannisto would be of more help though...
Old 03-26-2008, 08:03 AM

I wondering as well what the differences are between the UK and German versions.

Can someone comment?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 AM

i just checked and since it is distributed by warner throughout the EU that the only differences between any one countries version and another would be the soundtrack language offerings, i jsut checked and if bought in the UK it only has Enlgish, at least according to amazon, but if bought in germany it has many including english and german...but since it is warner, i would think it was safe to assume that the video encode is identical