Which Version Of Terminator 2 Should I Import? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 PM

Default Which Version Of Terminator 2 Should I Import?

I'm trying to decide whether to import the French HD DVD version with the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track since my player bitstreams DTS-HD MA to my receiver with a built in DTS-HD MA decoder or import the soon to be released German import with the DTS-HD 7.1 soundtrack.

The DTS-HD MA should clearly sound better since it is at a higher bitrate than DTS-HD but the German DTS-HD version said it's getting a new video transfer?

I was thinking of importing the UK version which is supposedly the Director's Cut French Version HD DVD but supposedly on the back of the HD DVD UK Box it says DTS-HD soundtrack not the French version DTS-HD MA soundtrack.

I want the best picture & sound. My HD DVD player & Receiver can decode both DTS-HD & DTS-HD MA.

Which version do you guys think will be the best video & audio version of the film?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 PM

why not get Terminator 2 on Blu-ray ?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
why not get Terminator 2 on Blu-ray ?
Blu-ray version is Dolby Digital sound. The transfer is not that great. I own it & I get irrated when I watch it.

It's one of my favorite movies & it has a sub-par transfer & DVD quality sound.

I was looking to either import the French HD DVD version with the 5.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack or the soon to be released German version with DTS-HD 7.1 sound to get the sound the picture deserves along with a better transfer.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 PM

Also the US blu-ray T2 doesn't include the extended edition like the france hd dvd does. I bought the HD DVD from france and i'm glad i did. Wound up selling the theatrical disk and just keeping the extended edition.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 PM

I don't have the French version but have pre-ordered the German import.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 PM

2 different viewpoints on the last 2 replies.

Which do you think would be better since I can decode DTS-HD & DTS-HD MA?

I know the DTS-HD MA would sound better but supposedly the German version is getting a new transfer. Is the French Director's cut a great transfer?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 PM

since your a huge fan of the film and already own it on BD, why not get both versions (German and French)?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 PM

The new German version is going to be the ultimate edition, or so it seems.
If you just want the Director's cut the UK version would do the job, the French version has both, although the Theatrical cut is with forced (French) subtitles.

Personally I'd wait for the new German version. Only thing it is lacking is English subtitles, and if the Studio thinks about it, it could be made download like was done for Freedom 1.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 PM

Is the German DTS-HD 7.1 track MA? Also, do we know for sure that the DTS HD track is in English? Sorry, I'm too lazy to search.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to import the French HD DVD version with the DTS-HD MA 5.1 track since my player bitstreams DTS-HD MA to my receiver with a built in DTS-HD MA decoder or import the soon to be released German import with the DTS-HD 7.1 soundtrack.

The DTS-HD MA should clearly sound better since it is at a higher bitrate than DTS-HD but the German DTS-HD version said it's getting a new video transfer?

I was thinking of importing the UK version which is supposedly the Director's Cut French Version HD DVD but supposedly on the back of the HD DVD UK Box it says DTS-HD soundtrack not the French version DTS-HD MA soundtrack.

I want the best picture & sound. My HD DVD player & Receiver can decode both DTS-HD & DTS-HD MA.

Which version do you guys think will be the best video & audio version of the film?
I really don't see the German release looking that much better than the French one that's already out. It's really impressive.

On the subject of which one you should get, that depends on what you want.

The French one has both the theatrical and director's cut (2 disc set) and 5.1 DTS-HD MA soundtracks. It's true that disc one does have forced subtitles but they are resizable and you can make them sit solely in the black bar.

DO NOT BUY THE UK ONE! It is only disc 2 of the French set with English packaging.

The German one is only the director's cut but is coming with a metric ton of extras and a 7.1 DTS-HD soundtrack.