which bluray exclusives are BETTER as imports - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-24-2008, 02:37 AM

Default which bluray exclusives are BETTER as imports

i'm planning to get a PS3 soon and this will be my main concern... import the hd dvd or get the bluray for less

i've only made up my mind to get the import on Terminator 2 when xploited gets the german ultimate edition release

as for others are there any that have better transfers or better extras to make it worth a few extra dollars to get the import?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:56 AM

Although reported to have audio pitch issues, Total Recall & Rambo: First Blood are much better than the BD version, IMHO. And I like to think I have a pretty good ear for audio, and I didn't pick up any audio pitch. I have the BD of Basic Instinct and it's OK; I avoided the Studio Canal (French) HD release after reading Josh Z's review on DVDTalk (he said the actors sound like they inhaled helium before saying their lines).

And while there unfortunately is no HD DVD import available, avoid the BD release of Stargate. This is one of my favorite movies and in my opinion, the BD is barely an improvement over upconverting the DVD.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 AM

"Reservoir Dogs" is absolutely superior on HD DVD.
the Dutch version looks FAR better than the crappy bd imho.

some members also feel that the HD DVD import of "Crank" is superior to the domestic bd release, but I haven't personally seen this titles in both editions yet.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Although reported to have audio pitch issues, Total Recall & Rambo: First Blood are much better than the BD version, IMHO. And I like to think I have a pretty good ear for audio, and I didn't pick up any audio pitch. I have the BD of Basic Instinct and it's OK; I avoided the Studio Canal (French) HD release after reading Josh Z's review on DVDTalk (he said the actors sound like they inhaled helium before saying their lines).(
I recommend picking up the the Australian versions of Rambo from Xploited. They're much cheaper and have English menus.

And you may want to check for the UK version of Total Recall, where ever one may find it.

Reservoir Dogs is supposed to look great, and although it's a Dutch release it does have English menus.

The Fog (70s version?) was released under Studio Canal in France, but you can also get it from the UK under Momentum.

And don't forget about the new Terminator 2 re-master that's coming out in March! It's a freakin' steelbook!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
"Reservoir Dogs" is absolutely superior on HD DVD.
the Dutch version looks FAR better than the crappy bd imho.

some members also feel that the HD DVD import of "Crank" is superior to the domestic bd release, but I haven't personally seen this titles in both editions yet.
You might as well import the Dutch BD of Reservoir Dogs then, it's exactly the same.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
I recommend picking up the the Australian versions of Rambo from Xploited. They're much cheaper and have English menus.

And you may want to check for the UK version of Total Recall, where ever one may find it.
It's my understanding the UK & Aussie releases of Rambo series, T2 & Total Recall all use the Studio Canal transfer, just have English only cases & menus. I don't mind the multi language menus on SC releases, once you select English at startup it puts a cookie in the player memory and remembers your preference. Wish all European studios would do this, I have the Polish HD release of Hannibal and the German The Jackal, and you have to navigate through the Polish/German menus to make your selections.

But, yeah, I bought the Aussie releases of Rambo 1-2 - cheaper & same video quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
And don't forget about the new Terminator 2 re-master that's coming out in March! It's a freakin' steelbook!
I have the Studio Canal 2 disc release, but definitely will be interested in reading the reviews for the German release.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:53 AM

[
Quote:
QUOTE=Brian2;678052]You might as well import the Dutch BD of Reservoir Dogs then, it's exactly the same.
are you sure you are talking about the SAME Dutch version?
I don't think you are. The HD DVD I am talking about just came out like 4 weeks ago maybe. There was NO bd version released so it is NOT the same one. sorry.

Last edited by Arkadin; 01-24-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 AM

Silent Hill has been reported to be clearly better PQ-wise on German HD DVD than U.S. BD. I think the same has also been said of Underworld: Evolution Spanish HD DVD vs. U.S. BD.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
[

are you sure you are talking about the SAME Dutch version?
I don't think you are. The HD DVD I am talking about just came out like 4 weeks ago maybe. There was NO bd version released so it is NOT the same one. sorry.
Actually Dutch Filmworks has been releasing on both HD DVD and BD, same titles.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
Silent Hill has been reported to be clearly better PQ-wise on German HD DVD than U.S. BD. I think the same has also been said of Underworld: Evolution Spanish HD DVD vs. U.S. BD.
I only saw a single screen shot comparison of Underworld, but I preferred the HD imports. Slightly, there was not much of a difference at all. Mostly I thoguht the HD version had more natural colors in the Kate Beckinsale face shot.

Also, I can say Silent Hill looks great, however I cannot compare to a BD version.