Best import of Resident Evil? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Default Best import of Resident Evil?

After reading Josh's review of the German HD I'm tempted to pick up a copy.

Which is the best import version? German? Japanese? (Other?)
Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
After reading Josh's review of the German HD I'm tempted to pick up a copy.

Which is the best import version? German? Japanese? (Other?)
Japanese version has been noted to be a little better in PQ, though not significantly. Japanese version uses AVC while German is in MPEG-2 and German version employs the ICT flag which restricts the resolution in non-HDCP setups. Of course if Japanese menus are a problem, German version might be easier to use.

Check out this thread as well:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31529
Old 01-24-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
Japanese version has been noted to be a little better in PQ, though not significantly. Japanese version uses AVC while German is in MPEG-2 and German version employs the ICT flag which restricts the resolution in non-HDCP setups. Of course if Japanese menus are a problem, German version might be easier to use.

Check out this thread as well:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31529
Cool, I kinda like the JP cover.
So Japanese has slightly better PQ. AQ looks the same, DTS-hd 5.1.
HD-30 for the Japanese version and HD-15 for the German (?)
H264 VS MPEG-2
Quote:
Video stream:
Type: H264
Bitrate: 20.499 Mbps
Framerate: 29.970 Hz
Resolution: 1920x1080
Aspect ratio: 16x9
Audio stream:
Type: DTS-HD High Resolution
Bitrate: 2046 Kbps
Number of main channels: 5
LFE Channel: Present
Sampling Frequency: 48khz
Bits Per Sample: 16
Is there a JP version Apocalypse coming out, or is it just the German version for Apocalypse and Extinction?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Cool, I kinda like the JP cover.
So Japanese has slightly better PQ. AQ looks the same, DTS-hd 5.1.
HD-30 for the Japanese version and HD-15 for the German (?)
H264 VS MPEG-2

Is there a JP version Apocalypse coming out, or is it just the German version for Apocalypse and Extinction?
Japanese disc is definitely HD-30 and Josh Z's review says the German is HD-15.

There is no JP HD DVD of Apocalypse coming out because Sony controls the distribution of that one in Japan. Showgate (ex. Toshiba Ent.) only had the distribution rights for the first one.

Somehow Sony is now releasing all 3 on BD soon here in Japan in a box though, they must have acquired the rights for the first one as well here to be able to do that.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:56 PM

I've got the JP biohazard coming from the same guy I got Finding Neverland from, (just a private collector not a store or anything).

My next question is Does anyone have a cheat sheet for the JP menus?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I've got the JP biohazard coming from the same guy I got Finding Neverland from, (just a private collector not a store or anything).

My next question is Does anyone have a cheat sheet for the JP menus?
I still need to make some sheets for Reign of Fire, The Machinist, and Finding Neverland.

It's not that hard finding where to turn off subtitles, but it gets annoying when you have to do it every time.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
I still need to make some sheets for Reign of Fire, The Machinist, and Finding Neverland.

It's not that hard finding where to turn off subtitles, but it gets annoying when you have to do it every time.
I agree about the subtitles
DVDtalk has a review of Finding Neverland with a few instructions for English.
Finding Neverland
Quote:
This HD DVD was intended for the Japanese market. The disc menus are mostly in Japanese text and will be difficult for a non-Japanese speaker to navigate. Since the disc automatically defaults to displaying Japanese subtitles, the way to disable this is to go to the Setup menu (third option on the main page), then go to the Languages submenu (left-hand option), and finally choose the bottom selection in the right-hand column.

There seem to be two separate sets of Japanese subtitles available. Perhaps one is for the movie and another for the commentary?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
Japanese disc is definitely HD-30 and Josh Z's review says the German is HD-15.

There is no JP HD DVD of Apocalypse coming out because Sony controls the distribution of that one in Japan. Showgate (ex. Toshiba Ent.) only had the distribution rights for the first one.

Somehow Sony is now releasing all 3 on BD soon here in Japan in a box though, they must have acquired the rights for the first one as well here to be able to do that.
Don't 30GB discs have two barcodes on the inside ring of the discs? If so, both of my German imports of RE:1 and 2 have two barcodes on the inner ring, making both of the German RE imports HD-30.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 PM

I had to rent this movie in SD cause I haven't seen it in years. I shut it off before it was over. That movie is horrible. Too bad, I kinda wanted all 3 RE's in HD. Guess I'll settle for just Extinction when it comes out.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
Don't 30GB discs have two barcodes on the inside ring of the discs? If so, both of my German imports of RE:1 and 2 have two barcodes on the inner ring, making both of the German RE imports HD-30.
Are the bar codes on the same ring or on cocentric rings?

I'll check again when I get home, but I looked specifically for this and verified that they were both single-layer.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.