Which imports are WB-controlled here? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 PM

Default Which imports are WB-controlled here?

Now that WB is going Blu exclusive in June, that means that there would be more imports from Blu exclusive studios available. I know of Band of Brothers (HBO), but what other movies would be WB/HBO/New Line here and are available for import? When I buy imports, I try to make sure that it's from a Blu-ray exclusive studio (although I made Band of Brothers an exception when I bought it).
Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Now that WB is going Blu exclusive in June, that means that there would be more imports from Blu exclusive studios available. I know of Band of Brothers (HBO), but what other movies would be WB/HBO/New Line here and are available for import? When I buy imports, I try to make sure that it's from a Blu-ray exclusive studio (although I made Band of Brothers an exception when I bought it).
I can think of only a couple of titles that are Warner/New Line/HBO in the U.S. that are already available now or coming soon as imports:
- Band of Brothers (Japan, Showgate)
- Hairspray (Italiy, Mondo Home Entertainment)
- Pan's Labyrinth (UK, Optimum) (French and Italian have no English subs)
- Planet Earth (UK, 2 Entertain / BBC)

On the other hand, The Prestige and The Island (European releases), and some French animation releases are import exclusives that are distributed by Warner in Europe, so those might disappear if Warner decides not to press more discs once they've been sold out.

So far I haven't much paid attention to already available Warner releases that are distributed by other distributors in other countries as they haven't been import-exclusive up to now.

Anyway, I decided to update the import sticky's "Titles Available for Order" list so that I will list the distributor of the non-U.S. release listed there in addition to listing the country, and I'll also list the U.S. distributor / rights owner for the title in question (if there is any). It'll take some time to update the whole list though.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
I can think of only a couple of titles that are Warner/New Line/HBO in the U.S. that are already available now or coming soon as imports:
- Band of Brothers (Japan, Showgate)
- Hairspray (Italiy, Mondo Home Entertainment)
- Pan's Labyrinth (UK, Optimum) (French and Italian have no English subs)
- Planet Earth (UK, 2 Entertain / BBC)

On the other hand, The Prestige and The Island (European releases), and some French animation releases are import exclusives that are distributed by Warner in Europe, so those might disappear if Warner decides not to press more discs once they've been sold out.

So far I haven't much paid attention to already available Warner releases that are distributed by other distributors in other countries as they haven't been import-exclusive up to now.

Anyway, I decided to update the import sticky's "Titles Available for Order" list so that I will list the distributor of the non-U.S. release listed there in addition to listing the country, and I'll also list the U.S. distributor / rights owner for the title in question (if there is any). It'll take some time to update the whole list though.
That would much appreciated, Kannisto. I don't like to import titles that are from HD DVD studios here, because I might import it and then see it a few months later getting a domestic release. I held off on The Pianist and Muholland Drive and lo and behold The Pianist showed up last week.

Running Scared is New Line. I might pick that one up now (German Version).

Hooligans is WB.

Last edited by bruceames; 01-15-2008 at 11:27 PM.