Senator (Germany) goes Blu - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Senator (Germany) goes Blu

And there goes the next independent german distibutor.

According to Mediabiz.de (sorry, can't post the link) Senator Film (Death Proof, Planet Terror) will go Blu Ray exclusive during the first half year of 2008. They say however that Death Proof will be released on HD DVD in March.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Damn it.

I thought they were Blu however.

BTW: There is a way to post links even under the 10 necessary replies. Just post the link without www.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 AM

That's too bad... I guess those companies like Senator who didn't even start releasing on HD DVD yet are more likely to bail out in the current situation. Anyway, I'm positive that many other foreign distributors will keep releasing HD DVDs and new ones will appear.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 AM

yeah, just read the news in smackdown. lol. wow. that really sucks, and makes little sense imo. wonder how much they were paid by bda?
Toshiba really needs to shore up some of this smaller support or there isn't going to be a lot of anything left.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
yeah, just read the news in smackdown. lol. wow. that really sucks, and makes little sense imo. wonder how much they were paid by bda?
I doubt the BDA cares enough about studios like this to bother paying them off. Most likely they were not making any money on either format and decided to cut their losses by focusing on just one. With the Warner announcement, they decided to follow in the Blu-ray direction.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:43 AM

Yeah you're probably right. I don't think I really thought that, but who knows.
btw Josh--what do you think HD DVD should do? Do you think it's reasonable to attempt to get more independent studios or distributors on board? Try to survive with the 2 studios even if they go neutral + a bunch of independent stuff. Think it would work?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM

Interesting post here reporting that Senator is not going Blu at all.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
That's great news they are staying with HD, disapointed in the BDA to make up storys or whatever excuse they may have with this story.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
That's excellent! I hope it's true, looks believable and I wouldn't be surprised at BDA issuing false statements, that seems to be their standard mode of operation.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 AM

Translation via google
http://www.cinefacts.de/news/news.php?newsid=10250
Quote:
Opposite Cine Facts, the company was, however, no opinion. Whether the Blu-ray group called information thus effectively with the truth or whether such decisions are still not final hit, remains to be seen. As Senator Home Entertainment yet no differently published, it is therefore the current status is still that five films on both HD DVD and Blu-ray are planned (see news release). Should this change, we will of course report back immediately.