Ordering from Amazon.com (US) from the UK - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Ordering from Amazon.com (US) from the UK

Not sure if this should be in this section, but to me it's an import so it seems right.

I'm looking to import the Blade Runner 5 Disc HD DVD from Amazon.com but I live in the UK. Now, I know that with postage it comes to a little over 17, will I be charged anything for the conversion of pounds to USD? will it be caught by customs? is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2008, 07:59 PM

I spent 5 years in Europe during the early part of this decade and did my fair share of importing from the US.

My experience was that packages from Amazon, gamestop, Barnes and Noble, etc., would often get caught in customs. Likewise, the faster the shipping method the more likely that there would be customs fees.

Amazon gives you the option of paying in your native currency so you can see the exact charge in pounds when you check out. Your amazon.co.uk login works on the US site as well.

here are some other import and export places I have used in the past:

www.dvdboxoffice.com

www.axelmusic.com

www.dvdpacific.com

www.dvdplanet.com

www.dvdempire.com I had a few good experiences and one lost package with Empire. They refused to reimburse me too

shop around
Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parodius View Post
I spent 5 years in Europe during the early part of this decade and did my fair share of importing from the US.

My experience was that packages from Amazon, gamestop, Barnes and Noble, etc., would often get caught in customs. Likewise, the faster the shipping method the more likely that there would be customs fees.

Amazon gives you the option of paying in your native currency so you can see the exact charge in pounds when you check out. Your amazon.co.uk login works on the US site as well.

here are some other import and export places I have used in the past:

<removed due to not having enough posts to do URLS>

I had a few good experiences and one lost package with Empire. They refused to reimburse me too

shop around
Aren't packages under 18 not checked by customs in the UK? Those sites all have Blade Runner listed at much more than Amazon. I will bookmark them for later use though, thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 PM

i would avoid using amazon US's currency exchange option as they charge more than credit cards (a lot more than mine anyways) and you will want to keep the bill, including postage, below 18 to avoid customs. You can use xe.com to check the value of your order in pounds sterling (allowing a percent or 2 for credit card currency charges).
Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1 View Post
i would avoid using amazon US's currency exchange option as they charge more than credit cards (a lot more than mine anyways) and you will want to keep the bill, including postage, below 18 to avoid customs. You can use xe.com to check the value of your order in pounds sterling (allowing a percent or 2 for credit card currency charges).
So I should keep the money in $ rather than get them to change it to 's? As I just got to the end of the check out and it came to 18.08 so if I put in $'s it'll be under 18 when my credit card converts it, right?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valad View Post
Not sure if this should be in this section, but to me it's an import so it seems right.

I'm looking to import the Blade Runner 5 Disc HD DVD from Amazon.com but I live in the UK. Now, I know that with postage it comes to a little over 17, will I be charged anything for the conversion of pounds to USD? will it be caught by customs? is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance
If (and how much) you will be charged for -$ conversion will depend on your credit card/issuing bank, typical is a couple %.
As for getting caught by customs, it's the same way in the UK asw in most of Europe:
If the price paid for the item(s) itself is below the limit (< 18) postage is not taken into account, and you will not have to pay any customs.
If the price of the item(s) is more than 18 you will have to pay customs on the total price paid included shipping (and any other fees paid to the etailer).
As the Blade Runner HD DVD set is well below the 18 tax free limit (even including shipping) you're in the clear.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Thank you all. I've worked it out into $ and it's under 18 including postage, thus I'll avoid customs, right? My bank charges also make the price under 18, but I don't think that matters to customs. So what do Amazon put on their packages when I've paid in $? the money in $ or in ? as if its in and their conversion rate is silly, then its still over 18
Old 01-07-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valad View Post
Thank you all. I've worked it out into $ and it's under 18 including postage, thus I'll avoid customs, right? My bank charges also make the price under 18, but I don't think that matters to customs. So what do Amazon put on their packages when I've paid in $? the money in $ or in ? as if its in and their conversion rate is silly, then its still over 18
In my orders they always put the prices in US $ in the packages when I've paid in US $ (credit card currency conversion to Japanese yen). I've never seen any prices in Japanese yen in any materials in Amazon.com packages (or in any other packages from other online shops outside of Japan). I guess this would apply to your UK orders as well, the prices should be marked there by Amazon in the original currency.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
In my orders they always put the prices in US $ in the packages when I've paid in US $ (credit card currency conversion to Japanese yen). I've never seen any prices in Japanese yen in any materials in Amazon.com packages (or in any other packages from other online shops outside of Japan). I guess this would apply to your UK orders as well, the prices should be marked there by Amazon in the original currency.
Depending on what kind of card you pay with (I think, at least I was first offered this only on one of my cards connected to my Amazon account) Amazon.com now offer to charge you in US Dollars or your local currency, at least for customers from some countries.
If you're charged in your local currency (and are from that clear of any import tax) you're safe from any change in exchange rates, but generally the exchange rate at Amazon isn't particularly good.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 PM

If you're not sure order from movietyme it's 22 but if it gets caught by customs you have that charge and then the 8 royal mail fee on top of that.... soooo maybe a few quid is better safe then sorry...