'The Graduate' (French Import) - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'The Graduate' (French Import) - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Peter's review of the French HD DVD release of 'The Graduate.' Considering that domestic rights the classic film are owned by Blu-ray exclusive studio MGM, this may be your best bet for getting this flick on HD DVD, but Peter says the disc itself is only serviceable.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1096/graduate_fr.html
Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Recommended 'for fans only'. Hmm, who isn't a fan of this movie?

Quote:
This Studio Canal French HD DVD release is serviceable. Although the transfer is nice enough, the soundtrack shows its age and there are zero extras. If you're hell-bent on owning this one on HD DVD, this may end up being your best bet, but if you're a dual-format supporter, rumor has it MGM is planning to bring their recently-released 40th Anniversary edition DVD to Blu-ray, and it seems likely that such a release would be superior to this one
Sounds like he downgraded the overall rating just because a Blu-ray version is supposed to come out someday and it's supposed to be better.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM

VERY nice review . Couple typos in the following paragraph:

Quote:
A then-unknown Dustin Hoffman because an instant star after his immensely likable, utterly inspired turn as Ben. Likewise, Anne Bancroft landed the role of her career as Mrs. Robinson -- her performance is a tour-de-force of nuance, humanity and barely-constained rage.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:09 PM

how bout we get a review up for the island, resident evil, crank, or any of the new Dutch releases.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
how bout we get a review up for the island, resident evil, crank, or any of the new Dutch releases.
If you're willing to donate those movies to the kind reviewers of HDD...
Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
If you're willing to donate those movies to the kind reviewers of HDD...
I have a number of those discs. Finding time to watch and review them is another matter.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
VERY nice review . Couple typos in the following paragraph:
... not to mention knocking a decade off the film's age ("Even thirty years later, we all recognize our friends, our neighbors..." - 1967 was 40 years ago, not 30).

And as dearly as I love American Graffiti, and do recognize it as one of the landmark movies of its own era, I don't know if it'd be my first choice for an example of a movie that captured the zeitgeist of the '70s (it's set in 1962, after all). I think I'd have cited Saturday Night Fever for the '70s.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Got this release right after it came out. very nice disc imo. considering the age, etc, etc. Also, I see NO reason at all to necessarily believe that Fox will do a better job on this title considering many of their recent releases (The Fly, Robocop, etc. etc.) Could they? Of course. But it's not by ANY means a given. This release is solid enough for sure regarding PQ. nice to see this finally get reviewed.