Star Trek TOS japanese box set in full 16/9 thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-25-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Star Trek TOS japanese box set in full 16/9 thread

OK, everyone goes about the american box set, which propose the episodes in 4/3, with the new SFX (which were shot in 1.77) cropped to fit.

But what about the japanese set, which is forthcoming or should be out there, and which offers the same content in full 16/9 ? Do we get more image, or not, is it an heresy, or the version to get, post here your infos, comments, feelings. I myself been trying in vain to find an online resort where I could order this one.

Quote:
Star Trek Remastered is being broadcast in Japan, but the Japanese version is presented not in 4:3 but in a 16:9 ratio.
While the CG shots have already been mastered in 16:9 for future applications, they are currently broadcast in the US along with the live action footage in the original 4:3 TV format to respect the show's original composition. If the producers choose to reformat the entire show for 16:9, live action footage would have to be recropped, widening the frame to the full width of the 35 mm negatives while trimming its height by nearly 30%. Although this would add a marginal amount of imagery on the sides, much more would need to be eliminated from the top and bottom of the frame to fit. This is what has been done for the Japanese version of the show.
OK, but what of the actual discs ? I'm eagierly awaiting reviews, screenshots etc.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 PM

The Japanese version is going to be released on 19th of December, I guess there will not be much review type information available before then.

Link to it in Amazon Japan:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...nguage=en%5FJP

18 648 yen in Amazon Japan for the pre-orders (26% off MRSP). Amazon Japan is probably the cheapest source for this version.

I'm not planning to buy it myself as I don't have enough budget for it with all my other December purchases (including Christmas presents), and I'm not so major Star Trek fan.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 PM

I really wish the US version had been 16X9(even if it would have been cropped). Kind of makes me want to attempt to get the Japanese version at some point down the line, but I can only dream how much it'd end up being..
Old 11-25-2007, 11:21 PM

What does that price work out to Kannisto? I can't imagine anybody being able to import this without getting a second mortgage on their house. Seriously, who would possibly be willing to pay the $$$ for this even with the 16:9 framing? I mean, I would love to have this, but I don't know. maybe if I win the lottery or something.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
What does that price work out to Kannisto? I can't imagine anybody being able to import this without getting a second mortgage on their house. Seriously, who would possibly be willing to pay the $$$ for this even with the 16:9 framing? I mean, I would love to have this, but I don't know. maybe if I win the lottery or something.
It's about $170.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Park View Post
It's about $170.
That's right, and there will be international priority shipping costs on top of that if ordering from Amazon Japan to other countries.

MRSP is anyway 25 200 yen and many B&M stores here always charge MRSP prices while some offer a 10 % discount. That MRSP would be around $230.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:22 AM

interesting. Well if people get this and start saying it's way better having the 16:9 framing than the 4:3 I might sell my US one, and get it. Guess I'll wait and see. I was thinking it was going to be something truly insane like $400 with the pathetic US $. Not near as bad as that obviously.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 AM

I would want this in 16:9 myself but also not a combo disk. Or on Blu-ray at some point.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 AM

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out why and how we ended up with 3 different versions. crazy!
guess that's one way to not make a decision.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 AM

Ahsoka noted this in the Import thread.

It seems that Japanese Star Trek TOS is getting postponed to an unknown release date on 1st half of 2008, that kind of information can be found on Paramount's Japanese page now.

http://www.paramount.jp/hd/