Europe is HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2007, 08:09 AM

Unhappy Europe is HD DVD

Well, according to this November 13th article. HD DVD once again is selling more in Europe. Thing I don't get it is I currently live in Spain and I know one shop (spains version of wal mart 'carrefour') that sells HD discs and they're Blu Ray? Other than that I don't know ANYWHERE to buy HD DVDs out here except online from a UK site.
So if HD DVD is outselling Blu in Spain where the HELL do I buy them!?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Hey thats great news about HD attach rate being much higher than Blue-rays...though after xmas i want to see how many hardware units have been sold, not just in the US but europe too.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadeZ View Post
Well, according to this November 13th article. HD DVD once again is selling more in Europe. Thing I don't get it is I currently live in Spain and I know one shop (spains version of wal mart 'carrefour') that sells HD discs and they're Blu Ray? Other than that I don't know ANYWHERE to buy HD DVDs out here except online from a UK site.
So if HD DVD is outselling Blu in Spain where the HELL do I buy them!?
www.dvdgo.com is a Spanish online shop selling HD DVDs as well as DVDs and Blu-ray. I never ordered from there though because of huge shipping cost to Japan... Might be a reasonable source for Spanish customers though?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 AM

US sales are tiny right now and there are even less players for both formats in Europe so sales are even less in Europe. I think most of the sales come from online stores.

Also, not sure how much this effects the numbers but people from the US can import European HD DVDs as well.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
www.dvdgo.com is a Spanish online shop selling HD DVDs as well as DVDs and Blu-ray. I never ordered from there though because of huge shipping cost to Japan... Might be a reasonable source for Spanish customers though?
I'm not actully Spanish. So prefer using a UK site anyway. But I'm just saying, I haven't seen any HD DVDs in Spanish stores.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 AM

This is just more massaged data:
For the 11/13/07 article, HD DVD include PS3's to make the attach rate lower.
However, in the 7/16/07 article, when HD DVD said they sold more players, they decided to report only "stand alone" players so the PS3 were excluded. They should either consistently include or exclude the PS3's.

For me, the most important number is the number of HD movies sold in either format.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 AM

Well, I usually don't pay attention to sales numbers but read this one. It doesn't really bother me, I love HD DVD and will support it no matter what.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM

i order all mine from movietyme, i don't think i've ever bought a uk produced hd dvd due to the ridiculous pricing in hmv and the like
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 AM

Play.com isn't bad.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 AM

I've been saying it for a while, in france, most customers hate Blu and think Sony is the big satan.

The fact that there are region codes on Blu is the bit that freeze everyone off, along with the prices of the players of course. People don't care that most US releases are not region coded. They got the memo that Blu is Region coded while Reds aren't. Blu lost, end of story. Remember, this is a country who likes revolutions