Mullholland Drive French Import - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Mullholland Drive French Import

I love this movie, but I've heard mixed things about the HD DVD... Anybody have it?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:26 PM

I have it. It looks pretty good, some scenes are soft but then others are excellent (it seems the scenes that take place in reality are much cleaner and sharper than the ones that take place in the dream - but there are exceptions to this). Overall, if you like this movie, then I recommend it.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
I have it. It looks pretty good, some scenes are soft but then others are excellent (it seems the scenes that take place in reality are much cleaner and sharper than the ones that take place in the dream - but there are exceptions to this). Overall, if you like this movie, then I recommend it.
Can you explain what the heck was going on in this movie? I have my theories and love David Lynch but would like to hear yours as well. And if you have any Lost Highway theories I would like to hear those as well (my fav David Lynch movie). Anyone know if Twin Peaks might ever be released in HD?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Can you explain what the heck was going on in this movie? I have my theories and love David Lynch but would like to hear yours as well. And if you have any Lost Highway theories I would like to hear those as well (my fav David Lynch movie). Anyone know if Twin Peaks might ever be released in HD?
I don't know, but the Gold Edition is sure as hell worth it!!!

As far as Mullholland Drive goes, is it worth importing over the SD disc available here? How's the sound?

Note that this disc has the high audio pitch problem that afflicts some other Studio Canal releases.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Pitch problem? What do you mean?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM

I posted about this earlier and no one responded to say they had viewed it in 1080p (though one person had viewed it in 720p). I have heard that it looks fine in 720p, but that in 1080p it shows banding and other image problems. Can those of you who have the DVD and have watched it outputting at 1080p confirm or deny these reports?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:57 PM

There are many subtleties going on and many are open to interpretation. However, IMO, there is a fairly solid storyline going on.

Spoilers:

Spoiler
First of all, most of what we see is a Diane's dream. It basically starts as depressed she climbs into bed as we see the pillow at the beginning of the movie. In her dream she is trying to reconstruct events in a positive light, but the underlying truth seeps through in multiple ways not allowing her to escape. So there is a constant duality to the movie at all times, such as the positive images of her coming to LA full of hope, which certainly reflects what she had hoped for. But the couple at the airport seem very friendly, but chuckle sinisterly as they drive away. In my mind they represent her Hollywood dream full of hope, but at the end they come back to haunt her as all of her dreams have failed.

The last part of the movie is basically "the truth", as seen through the filter of Diane's mind's eye (everyone has a perspective of what's happening even in their own "real" memorie) - so it is not the exact truth, but a reflection of how Diane sees the truth. You will see many connections in this reality from her memory which connect to her reconstructed dream, such as when she looks at the mafiosi sipping coffee while hearing about Camilla's betrothal leaves her disgusted and this translates into the mafiosi being disgusted by the coffee in the dream. Also, the appearance of the Cowboy in the background just after the other actress kissed Camilla set her heart on her desire for revenge - which translates to the Cowboy's statement that when she sees him twice then she has done wrong, a direct connect to her desire for revenge (remember we are seeing things through Diane's memories even before her dream, so she is making freeform associations).

One thing to keep in mind during the dream is that we are inside Diane's mind at all times, so everybody, including Adam and Rita/Camilla represent different facets of Diane's mental turmoil. So things that happen to everybody are actually happening to Diane in her dream. Which of course translates to the constant role swapping in the dream portion. Rita seems dependent on Diane, but in reality it is the opposite - Diane is totally dependent on Rita. Rita is successful and Diane is just barely scraping by dependent on Rita. It seems likely that Diane also worked in the fast food restaurant and was represented by the waitress who wore her name.

Also, the guy in the restaurant who saw the monster was really seeing what Diane was doing, as can be seen in the flashback where Dan (the guy with the monster) looks at her while she pays the hitman. So her deed itself is the "Monster", or one might say "The Terrible Truth" her mind is trying to run away from, but which in the end confronts her and causes her to commit suicide.

Again, keep in mind this is my interpretation at a high level, you will likely find some of your own interpretation, but there is a lot that supports this variant.

As for "Lost Highway", I can explain my interpretation as well. But not right now, I just spent too much time writing the blurb above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Old 11-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
Pitch problem? What do you mean?
Supposedly it is there, but not many people notice it. I don't. In fact, I don't even think it is worth mentioning because I don't think most people would notice it unless they are told about it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
There are many subtleties going on and many are open to interpretation. However, IMO, there is a fairly solid storyline going on.

Spoilers:

Spoiler
First of all, most of what we see is a Diane's dream. It basically starts as depressed she climbs into bed as we see the pillow at the beginning of the movie. In her dream she is trying to reconstruct events in a positive light, but the underlying truth seeps through in multiple ways not allowing her to escape. So there is a constant duality to the movie at all times, such as the positive images of her coming to LA full of hope, which certainly reflects what she had hoped for. But the couple at the airport seem very friendly, but chuckle sinisterly as they drive away. In my mind they represent her Hollywood dream full of hope, but at the end they come back to haunt her as all of her dreams have failed.

The last part of the movie is basically "the truth", as seen through the filter of Diane's mind's eye (everyone has a perspective of what's happening even in their own "real" memorie) - so it is not the exact truth, but a reflection of how Diane sees the truth. You will see many connections in this reality from her memory which connect to her reconstructed dream, such as when she looks at the mafiosi sipping coffee while hearing about Camilla's betrothal leaves her disgusted and this translates into the mafiosi being disgusted by the coffee in the dream. Also, the appearance of the Cowboy in the background just after the other actress kissed Camilla set her heart on her desire for revenge - which translates to the Cowboy's statement that when she sees him twice then she has done wrong, a direct connect to her desire for revenge (remember we are seeing things through Diane's memories even before her dream, so she is making freeform associations).

One thing to keep in mind during the dream is that we are inside Diane's mind at all times, so everybody, including Adam and Rita/Camilla represent different facets of Diane's mental turmoil. So things that happen to everybody are actually happening to Diane in her dream. Which of course translates to the constant role swapping in the dream portion. Rita seems dependent on Diane, but in reality it is the opposite - Diane is totally dependent on Rita. Rita is successful and Diane is just barely scraping by dependent on Rita. It seems likely that Diane also worked in the fast food restaurant and was represented by the waitress who wore her name.

Also, the guy in the restaurant who saw the monster was really seeing what Diane was doing, as can be seen in the flashback where Dan (the guy with the monster) looks at her while she pays the hitman. So her deed itself is the "Monster", or one might say "The Terrible Truth" her mind is trying to run away from, but which in the end confronts her and causes her to commit suicide.

Again, keep in mind this is my interpretation at a high level, you will likely find some of your own interpretation, but there is a lot that supports this variant.

As for "Lost Highway", I can explain my interpretation as well. But not right now, I just spent too much time writing the blurb above.

I would agree with quite a bit of that and thank you for taking the time. One thing I never understood was the guys at the coffee shop and the moster but I like your take on it. I think the trip to the theater and the show that was all recorded helps to solidify your theories.