Resident Evil: Apocalypse HD DVD (import) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-03-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Resident Evil: Apocalypse HD DVD (import)

Hmmm... I did a search and couldn't find a thread for the HD DVD import of "Resident Evil: Apocalypse," so here's my very first thread.

Got my copy of this German import today. Like the "Resident Evil" HD DVD, RE:A is encoded via MPEG2. That's a little disappointing because even though the PQ is very good, I kept having the nagging suspicion that it could look even better. More than making up for any slight image deficiency though is the incredible audio track (English DTS-HD 5.1). The movie consistently makes heavy use of all 5.1 channels (especially the LFE) , making this a surround sound demo disc. And this is the "Extended Version" of RE:A. After only one viewing, the only scene that I noticed sporting extensive extra footage was the church sequence. Maybe I'll see more after I watch it again.

Quibble: They didn't author the disc so that you can access the menu while the movie plays; like standard DVDs, you have to stop the film, make your selection, and then start again (from the beginning). It's amazing how quickly I've become spoiled by being able to switch on the fly with HD DVD.

Minor Quibble: A few of the time/location subtitles that fly onto the screen are in German while everything else remains in English. Not sure why these few exceptions were made. Not a biggie, but a little surprising.

I haven't really gone through the extras, but I did watch the two (German dubbed) trailers for "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" and "Resident Evil: Extinction" (promoted as being available on both HD DVD and Blu-Ray).

Glad I got this one.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:40 AM

Thanks for sharing~

Thinking of buying this one and the RE1......
Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Im thinking og getting RE1...It will be my first import purchase(I bought Prestige from Intoxicated62 on this site) Sooo it will be a little confusing to me..Hopefully the release date of Crank hasnt changed so I can combine shipping this december!
Old 11-03-2007, 12:57 PM

I agree. I was really happy with this movie. The extras are pretty much the same as the 2-disc set we have here, including the hilarious commentary with Milla Jovovich, Oded Fehr, and Sienna Guillory (however that's spelled). It's especially funny cuz Sienna was recorded separately, and while Milla and Oded are laughing and making fun of each other, Sienna occasionally pops up with something smart and British to say. Anyway, you have to listen to it to fully appreciate it.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:32 PM

I loved the featurette on the Resident Evil disc for Resident Evil Extinction. It has me waiting for it to come out next year.

Apocalypse should be coming in today, hopefully.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Thought both of them were good transfers. In general European imports are good quality.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Banned

My copy of the first is in the post and I have the 2nd one waiting to ship out. Bit annoyed with locations appearing in German, as according to people that have received the 1st one, they're all in English on that. Ahh well, minor quibble and I'll be getting the 3rd one in Feb '08.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:26 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

the resident evil transfer is not good at all one of the worst transfers i have ever seen on a hd dvd
Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDVD DEFENDER View Post
the resident evil transfer is not good at all one of the worst transfers i have ever seen on a hd dvd
I got my copy today, don't know what the hell you're talking about!! Sure it's an Mpeg2 encoding, but it looks excellent and retains the natural grain, instead of trying to eliminate it and create a blocky mess. Check your setup, dude 'cause this beats the pants off the VERY VERY good German SD release.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDVD DEFENDER View Post
Argh, not you again... Could you please explain to everyone what exactly is wrong with this transfer? You seem to be the only one with this opinion. Please, enlighten us with your unending wisdom.