The Prestige (UK Import) - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-15-2007, 12:40 AM
HDD Founder

Default The Prestige (UK Import) - High-Def Digest review

Peter says this UK-released HD DVD edition of 'The Prestige' is a fairly close match to the domestic Blu-ray edition released by Disney. The fantastic transfers are identical, as are the relatively slim supplement sets. Unfortunately, he says the Dolby Digital-Plus track on this one just can't compete with the PCM audio on the domestic Blu-ray. Still, if you've been waiting for your HD DVD fix of 'The Prestige,' look no further...

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/997/prestige_uk.html
Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 AM

It is a shame they only included a 640Kbps DD+ track, it would have made much more sense to include DTS-HD, DD+ at 1.5Mbps (which is getting close to lossless), or TrueHD of course.

However, I am sure it still sounds very good. Excellent to hear it equals the BD in video quality. At the time the Prestige was released, some prominent Blu-ray fanboys were claiming that the 5 star PQ of "The Prestige" was proof that HD DVD could not equal Blu-ray in video quality. Obviously proven incorrect here.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:47 AM

Imported my copy from Amazon.uk, and as he says, it's a killer transfer. I found a comparison of the blu-ray vs HD-DVD, and they were identical, with the HD-DVD version around 5GB less aswell.

For the comparison link, do a google search on 'prestige blu-ray vs hd-dvd', and it's the third link down.

Enjoy
Old 08-15-2007, 01:49 AM

more good transfer news. Hooray for "The Prestige" on HD-DVD!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:02 AM

I was waiting for this review for a long time. I have to agree that the PQ for this import is very good. I imported this a while back and I thought it looked fantastic.
Movie is also very good.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:38 AM

This movie put me to sleep.
I guess i shouldnt watch movies at 4am, ill rent it again
Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 AM

Hmmmm so much for the

More storage means better quality movies. This is not only a seperate encode but a different codec altogether.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:47 AM

I've had this disc for a couple of months now, and this review is sort of what I had expected. Too bad about the average audio encode, but it's not like it ruins the movie experience. The thing still sounds at least as good as the best DVD has to offer.

Anyway, great movie, and it's great to have it on HD DVD.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 AM

the audio doesn't ruin the experience, but it goes from "highly recommended" to "worth a look" due to a big drop in audio difference?

i still think the movie on HD DVD should be recommended instead of worth a look, it is a good film...
Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiwaneSTUD View Post
the audio doesn't ruin the experience, but it goes from "highly recommended" to "worth a look" due to a big drop in audio difference?

i still think the movie on HD DVD should be recommended instead of worth a look, it is a good film...
Yeah, that's a bit harsh, now that you mention it. 'Recommended' seems more appropriate.

Maybe they're also taking into account the fact that you need to import it and thus the price is higher. But that's assuming everyone who reads this review is from the US, which is not true of course. I can just walk into a local shop here and buy The Prestige on HD DVD for a normal price. In that case it's certainly a recommended purchase.