Hero / Home of the Brave / Tristan & Isolde (Holland - DFW) impressions and pics - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 PM

Default Hero / Home of the Brave / Tristan & Isolde (Holland - DFW) impressions and pics

I received these 3 new Dutch FilmWorks releases from bol.com yesterday. I took some case pics and took a quick look at the PQ and AQ of each (no time for more yet):

Hero (Holland - DFW ; Buena Vista)
bol.com $29.59 (19.99)
Free Record Shop $22.24 (14.99)
Warning: Original audio language is Mandarin. No English subtitles.

- Video in VC-1 / in OAR 2.35:1
- Original Mandarin audio available as DTS-HD MA and DD.
- Optional Dutch subtitles (no English).
- English menu (pop-up)
- Runtime (based on back cover): 99 minutes

The starting title texts in the movie are in English but that's pretty much where the English support ends. I was aware of that when buying this anyway.

PQ/AQ:
Unfortunately there is a rather strong cloud of grain present throughout. It kind of smears some of the fine detail of the video image. I think this is directly related to the original print though. I wouldn't give this more than 3 stars at best for PQ but I think it's probably not the fault of the transfer. There's just no pristine master available I guess.

AQ sounded very good on my system, though I only get the DTS core. I did very little sampling so far though.

Home of the Brave (Holland - DFW ; MGM)
bol.com $41.52 (27.99)
Free Record Shop $29.65 (19.99)
Xploited Cinema $33.95

- Original English audio available as DTS-HD MA and DD.
- English menu (pop-up)
- Runtime (based on back cover): 107 minutes

PQ/AQ:
PQ was looking fairly good but did not have very impressive level of fine detail / sharpness. Kind of middle of the road in sharpness. Otherwise I didn't notice any problems. Would give it 3.5 out of 5 based on a quick look.

AQ sounded very good on my system, though I only get the DTS core. I did very little sampling so far though.

Tristan & Isolde (Holland - DFW ; Fox)
bol.com $29.59 (19.99)
Free Record Shop $22.24 (14.99)
Xploited Cinema $26.95

- Video in VC-1 / in 1.78:1 (OAR is 1.85:1 so it may be slightly opened up)
- English menu (pop-up)
- Runtime (based on back cover): 126 minutes

PQ/AQ:
PQ on this one is the most impressive of this bunch. I would give it 4.5 out of 5 based on limited sampling. Very nice details and sharpness. There were some nature shots in the beginning that look stunning. Also closeups of people look very impressive and detailed.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannisto View Post

Warning: Original audio language is Mandarin. No English subtitles.

I had given myself hope with everyone saying maybes... and never getting a for sure answer till now. !-( Thanks for at least letting us know.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 AM

Kannisto, thanks for the review on Hero . I'm quite disappointed to hear there is excessive grain. I was looking to try and get a copy, especially since I understand Mandarin. Strange that my SD copy actually looks very good upscaled thus I had high hopes for the HD DVD release.

Amazon.de also sells a directors cut in both HD DVD and BD. Have you heard or seen anything about that release? Maybe a different source material was used?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
Kannisto, thanks for the review on Hero . I'm quite disappointed to hear there is excessive grain. I was looking to try and get a copy, especially since I understand Mandarin. Strange that my SD copy actually looks very good upscaled thus I had high hopes for the HD DVD release.

Amazon.de also sells a directors cut in both HD DVD and BD. Have you heard or seen anything about that release? Maybe a different source material was used?
I have heard pretty bad comments about the German (Constantin/Highlight) release of Hero. I think it is in MPEG-2, uses ICT flag and on top of that has a bad PQ. So I think this Dutch version is probably better. I haven't confirmed myself as I didn't buy the German version. It has no English support either.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:

- English menu (pop-up)
- Runtime (based on back cover): 107 minutes

PQ/AQ:
PQ was looking fairly good but did not have very impressive level of fine detail / sharpness. Kind of middle of the road in sharpness. Otherwise I didn't notice any problems. Would give it 3.5 out of 5 based on a quick look.

Damn that sounds about the same as the Blu-ray version. Was hoping for an upgrade.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Hi,hope this helps the above discs and other titles reduced to 9.99 euros at free record shop.com,enjoy.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I have heard pretty bad comments about the German (Constantin/Highlight) release of Hero. I think it is in MPEG-2, uses ICT flag and on top of that has a bad PQ. So I think this Dutch version is probably better. I haven't confirmed myself as I didn't buy the German version. It has no English support either.
Eck... MPEG-2 is a turn off...
Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
Eck... MPEG-2 is a turn off...
MPEG-2 can look great given enough space and a high bitrate.