Help With dolby digital True HD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Help With dolby digital True HD

Hey guys newbie here and i have a couple of questions that maybe you guys can help me with. I bought Toshiba hd-a2 a few weeks back and i am starting my hd dvd collection. Picture looks amazing and the sound is really good with my Onkyo tx-sr604 receiver. I am currently getting sound from the optical connection. I saw that the hd-a2 supports Dolby True Hd so i was wondering if i used the hdmi output to my hdmi input on my receiver would i get Dolby Digital True Hd sound and the Hd-a2 supports?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie1679 View Post
Hey guys newbie here and i have a couple of questions that maybe you guys can help me with. I bought Toshiba hd-a2 a few weeks back and i am starting my hd dvd collection. Picture looks amazing and the sound is really good with my Onkyo tx-sr604 receiver. I am currently getting sound from the optical connection. I saw that the hd-a2 supports Dolby True Hd so i was wondering if i used the hdmi output to my hdmi input on my receiver would i get Dolby Digital True Hd sound and the Hd-a2 supports?
Hi boogie, welcome to the HDD Forums!

Yes, all Toshiba HD DVD players support TrueHD - "support" meaning they can internally decode it and send it to the receiver for amplifying.

But the digital optical does not have enough bandwidth to pass it through. You'll need to connect an HDMI cable from the A2 to the 604 (input 1 or 2), and then another HDMI cable from the 604 HDMI out to your display. Then consult your 604 manual on how to assign the HDMI input to the A2 (very easy).

Only a number of HD DVD titles have a TrueHD audio track; check the specs on individual titles. And then you need to go into the HD DVD menu to select the TrueHD audio, as the default is always the lower Dolby Digital track.

One last word of advise - don't get suckered into those $100 Monster HDMI cables Best Buy/CC always try to push on you. Monoprice.com cables for $10-$15 have worked fine for me for years.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
One last word of advise - don't get suckered into those $100 Monster HDMI cables Best Buy/CC always try to push on you. Monoprice.com cables for $10-$15 have worked fine for me for years.
From what I've read is that if the HDMI cord is 6 feet or less than there wont be any difference with going with a cheap cord over the expensive. After the 6 feet it starts to degregate a little.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Hi boogie, welcome to the HDD Forums!

Yes, all Toshiba HD DVD players support TrueHD - "support" meaning they can internally decode it and send it to the receiver for amplifying.

But the digital optical does not have enough bandwidth to pass it through. You'll need to connect an HDMI cable from the A2 to the 604 (input 1 or 2), and then another HDMI cable from the 604 HDMI out to your display. Then consult your 604 manual on how to assign the HDMI input to the A2 (very easy).

Only a number of HD DVD titles have a TrueHD audio track; check the specs on individual titles. And then you need to go into the HD DVD menu to select the TrueHD audio, as the default is always the lower Dolby Digital track.

Thanks alot man I kinda Understand now. So if i had a player that supported dts hd i could do the same thing correct? One thing that is confusing me is that if i cand send the sound decoded thru pcm, how would my receiver read it because it does not have dolby true hd. What im understanding is that the dvd player will decode, i fail to see how the receiver can read the dolby true hd signal? If you have an answer for this i would really appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie1679 View Post
Thanks alot man I kinda Understand now. So if i had a player that supported dts hd i could do the same thing correct? One thing that is confusing me is that if i cand send the sound decoded thru pcm, how would my receiver read it because it does not have dolby true hd. What im understanding is that the dvd player will decode, i fail to see how the receiver can read the dolby true hd signal? If you have an answer for this i would really appreciate it.
Because when a player does the decoding, it just sends the output to the receiver as PCM - a stream of digital audio. It doesn't matter if the player has decoded DTS or TrueHD - all the receiver "sees" is a digital audio stream, amplifies it to the speaker / equalizer settings, converts it to analog and sends it to the speakers.

Which reminds me - I forgot to tell you to go into the A2 system menu and make sure the HDMI audio output is set to PCM. You can leave the digital optical set to bitstream - that will enable the 604 to decode DTS and Dolby Digital audio if you want it to.

And yes, if a player supports decoding DTS HD, it would be the same thing - sending it to the receiver as PCM. Currently, no HD DVD player supports DTS HD, and only the Panasonic BD-10 & BD-10a support DTS HD. Onkyo is rumored to be preparing an HD DVD player that supports both TrueHD & DTS HD-MA. But, only HD DVD movies, only European releases from Studio Canal (France) have used DTS HD-MA.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:06 PM

Dont you need certtain speakers for Dolby TrueHD?

If so, can you give me links as to which ones I need to get?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:43 PM

no special speakers needed. Thank god.