problem... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 PM

problem...

I am getting this error on my hddvd hd-a20. i was watching blood diamond and suddenly on chapter 16 i think it was it gave me this error
"disc error 408bc509"...why? any ideas what is causing this? thanks.

by the way. i put the movie into my other hddvd hd-a2 and it works fine. I did upgrade the firmware on the a20 yesterday....whether that is the reason..who knows.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 PM

its chapter 18. it says exactly this:

cannot play the disc
error code: 408bc509
Old 01-28-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary70 View Post
its chapter 18. it says exactly this:

cannot play the disc
error code: 408bc509
That error code is a disc error - they drive cannot read the disc. Are there any scratches on the disc? Smudges or dirt that can be cleaned off?

And if you have question specifically about HD DVD, please post it here in the HD DVD forum, not the General Discussion, Both Formats - that forum is for general high definition media discussion.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 PM

the disc is brand new. no scratches or smudges at all. the movie is playing fine and then it gets to that part and bam.??
Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Default Solution

Even if the disc is clean, reclean it. And blow some compressed air in the open drawer towards the laser lens.

* Let us know.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM

I wrote a response, but somehow lost it while finishing it, so if this posts twice, my apologies.

I have 2 XA2's and around 60 HD-DVD titles. Both machines had different firmware versions when I first encountered 408bc509, but they have both been now upgraded to 4.0. I also tried the compressed air trick from the 2009 post above, which did not work. Here's my conclusion:

408bc509 occured for me ONLY on Warner Brothers HD-DVD's; I have never had the error on any other studio's HD disc. The error always identically manifested itself: Playback would stutter, freeze, and then stop with the error code displayed.

I went thru a TON of 7-8 WB titles before finding non-error'd discs. These included Superman (7 copies!), Constantine (5!), Blood Diamond (3), Goodfellas(4), The Matrix, The Departed and 300.

408bc509 would occur on the same discs at the same timecode on both machines, regardless of firmware version. Therefore, as far as I am concerned, it is a WB disc problem, NOT a player problem, and there are a lot of bad WB discs out there.

My advice: Your copy of Blood Diamond is defective, and you should send it back and get a replacement.

One other thing occured to me: Almost all of these bad WB discs came from the same Amazon Marketplace Seller. They sent me multiple progressive replacement shipments, so either they were extraordinarily helpful, or maybe they know they have a bad batch (they were very polite and responsive). After getting functional replacements of all the above titles, save Superman and Constantine, I gave up with that Seller, and had them refund those two discs. I then purchased those two titles from other Amazon Sellers: The next Constantine disc was good, but the Superman was not. Another copy of Superman arrived today from a 3rd Amazon Seller, and it tested OK, **FINALLY**.

Last edited by Fivedollarshake; 01-27-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 PM

I have found spraying pledge on the disc and buffing it off was the best trick to work. There tends to be some kind of stamper residue on the titles.

Furniture polish and a lint free rag with do wonders for a bad disc
Old 01-29-2011, 01:17 PM

I use my old "discwasher" brand cd cleaner on titles (even brand new ones) that hiccup or freeze. That seems to clean off any manufacturing residue and resolve 99% of the playback issues. I have had a couple of titles that were clearly defective. Lethal Weapon 1 (brand new), for example. It would not even load up in the player. I contacted Warner and they replaced it with a blu-ray of the title since no more HD-DVDs were available. I thought that was terrific customer support.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 AM

Just joined this forum because I've found a bunch of Warner HD-DVDs that were either always defective or have gone bad. Blood Diamond seems to be the worst title, as I've checked FOUR copies of that and it can't even get past the beginning of the movie!

How did you get Warner to replace your bad discs with Blu-Rays? I've contacted them and they told me I had to have the receipts, plus they wouldn't take any that were bought from Amazon Marketplace or Ebay sellers (even though they were brand-new and sealed.)
Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM

You can use red2blu.com without receipt, but of course you'll be paying.