problem viewing sopranos season 6 part 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2010, 04:53 AM

Default problem viewing sopranos season 6 part 2

Im a newbie here so pls excuse any silly mistakes and redirect me as needed.
I have an XA2 player feeding a dvdo vp50 and a sim2 c3x PJ.

i played all the sopranos season 6, part one, no problem, so really looking forward to part 2 I put the first disc in last night and it spun up as far as the screen asking me to select an episode , but absolutely no response. i removed and inserted the next disc, it locked up machene. I re inserted an older part onedisc and no problem. All help appreciated
Old 01-12-2010, 06:25 PM

Well, it sounds like your XA2 is working fine, so I'd just suggest the obvious - check the disc for scratches, smudges, etc. Maybe try clearing out the memory (Persistent Storage). Have you tried any other discs besides 1 & 2?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM

No only one and two, ill try some more.. I checked to see what firmware revision is , it says 1.5 T20T, is that an old one ??
How do you clear memory.
Many thanks for the reply.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinut View Post
No only one and two, ill try some more.. I checked to see what firmware revision is , it says 1.5 T20T, is that an old one ??
Yeah, that version is pretty old. The last version was 4.0 T20T. I don't know if can still update the firmware directly from the player by connecting it to the internet. But it's still up there at Toshiba for download:

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...-XA2-4000N.zip

You would download it to your PC, unzip it, and burn it to a CD. Put the CD in the tray and close, and the player will read it and ask you if you want to update. I would update the firmware first.

Quote:
How do you clear memory.
Many thanks for the reply.
In the Setup menu, bottom menu choice - Maintenance, the Persistent Memory. You'll see icons for items from studios, just delete any Warner content. I just found that some content from studiod messed up playback for some of their other titles, although it was usually Universal that was the culprit. Again, I would try updating the firmware first and see if that solves the problem.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Thanks ill give it a go, could I ask you a couple of questions about the way I have things set up on my toshiba???
Old 01-13-2010, 02:27 PM

Sure, fire away.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM

I have Bitstream on and PCM off. Enhanced bit level on. Picture mode set to Auto. Res setting set to Up to 1080p. I am only using the H DMI for picture as my classe ssp600 cannot accept it, so i use a medical quality glass fiber optic for audio. The projector is Sim2 C3X which is 720p. There is a DVDO VP50 in the line between tosh and PJ. All suggestions appreciated as im pretty much on my own here on the west coast of Ireland. No other person with a similar hobby to bounce things off.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Ok, I asked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinut View Post
I have Bitstream on and PCM off. Enhanced bit level on. Picture mode set to Auto. Res setting set to Up to 1080p.
I think you mean Enhanced Black level? Personal preference. I had it on for my previous TV which had poor black level, with my Panasonic projector I know have it set to off. Picture mode to Auto is good, especially since your using the DVDO VP50 to process video anyway.

Quote:
I am only using the H DMI for picture as my classe ssp600 cannot accept it, so i use a medical quality glass fiber optic for audio.
Regardless of the quality of the cable digital optical is limited to a maximum of 1.5mbps. The player can output Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus & DTS through optical, but it can't bitstream TrueHD or DTS-HD High Resolution or Master Audio through optical, and if the player decoded it would only output 2 channel PCM for TrueHD and output the DTS 'core" from HR/MA. Does your ssp600 have 5.1 analog inputs? If so, that would be a better connection than optical. The XA2 can decode all audio codecs (except DTS-HD HR/MA) and output it in full resolution via it's 5.1 analog output as PCM. For DTS-HD HR/MA, it would decode the DTS core.

Quote:
The projector is Sim2 C3X which is 720p. There is a DVDO VP50 in the line between tosh and PJ. All suggestions appreciated as im pretty much on my own here on the west coast of Ireland. No other person with a similar hobby to bounce things off.
Well, most 720p projectors are very good - I used a Panasonic AX200u for some time, and still use it for TV broadcasts, before getting my AE4000 1080p projector. I'm not very familiar with the DVDO VP50, although I looked it up on Anchor Bay's site and it seems very good. I assume you're using to process the XA2's 1080p output down to 720p for the projector? Can it accept 1080p24? 1080p24 is the best picture quality, so if the VP50 can process that down to 720p you might see a slight PQ improvement. I don't remember if the XA2 had 1080p24 capability right out of the box, or if that was added in a later firmware. If you don't see an Up to 1080p24 option in Setup, you will when you upgrade the firmware.

One last question: You do have the North American XA2 model, and not the European model, which was called something different (EP-1?). YOu wouldn't to use the North American XA2 firmware I posted in the link if you have the European mode.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks for all that indeed. I actually have the USA model 110 volt. Just home and will try out update.