HD-DVD Rides Again? I Wonder - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2010, 01:35 AM

Default HD-DVD Rides Again? I Wonder

Hello guys. I just had to show you all this article that was posted in another forum on another site. Low-and-behold, look at the CBHD player and look to the left of it. Sure enough, a HD-DVD logo. Yes, it's there and I just want that baby just to have it. I never thought I would see the day to see the logo, better yet the support for HD-DVD on another set-top media player. I think it looks awesome. I want one now. Some of you might not think anything of it, but I just want to see the quality of CBHD.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/11/h...-ray-together/

Now, look at this guy unpacking this CBHD player. He looks like a kid during Christmas. I was laughing so hard at this guy. Pretty good review though. Notice how this guy just puts Aviator up on the bottom side to get scratched up. I know this may sound nuts, but doesn't the settings menu look like the Toshiba HD-DVD players menus? I want one just to have it. Peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grHXXXs5Dm0

Last edited by Blckman; 06-05-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Deleting Words
Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 AM

Ha ha, too funny.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 AM

Well, that is clearly a Toshiba styled player, firmware and remote . . pretty funny . . but it seems to work just fine . . . wonder how it looks on a decent sized 1080P set.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:54 PM

Yep, if I just saw the setup menu and the controller I would tell you that is my A3.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Lol, this video is quite funny.

* I don't think I like to lend my discs to this guy though.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:11 PM

now if only someone can get hd dvd's to play in theses cbhd players.......
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 AM

lol! That's bizarre! As others have said, without checking, that player menu looks exactly the same as that on my HD-XE1 and HD-EP30 (And my HD-E1 before I replaced it). And the remote looks exactly like the HD-E1 remote. Does anyone know if an HD-DVD has been tested on one of these yet?? I noticed that the guy's player in the video didn't have the hd-dvd logo on it the way the pic in the article did (So possible the pic is photoshopped).

Well, either way it turns out, it's sure as hell gonna be interesting and fun to know lol! My HD-DVD collection still far outnumbers my Blu Ray collection, so if things did suddenly turn around.... mwahahahahaaa!! Okay, okay, joking aside, that's about as likely as my winning the lottery at the same time as getting hit by a meteor after flipping 500 pieces of toast all in sequence that landed butter side up... But at the very least, it would be nice to know that those of us who still have a fair number of HD-DVDs could buy new players if and when we needed to.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:17 PM

yea does anyone know if it still outselling blu ray in china like it was doing a few months ago ?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 AM

I don't know. Reading the Google translation it seems to be either BDA Spin or ChiCom policy.
We know the official government policy is -no to another dvd situation where they pay billions to the west.
Some of their news talk about the expense of adapting plants to blu-ray, the complexity and the slow adoption compared to DVD. Something like 4 years to get where dvd was in the beginning.

The CBHD makers have been making improvements

The BDA seem to think 3d is the key in china, hard to copy (sure it is) and the people will go for it. (Ok, right) The people who can barely afford a 720p lcd tv and $3 movies will jump in to 3d :?

IT is hard to tell what is happening with all the spin, on top of dropping cbhd player prices China is giving away a player with every HDTV bought, slashed their software prices to under $5 and has more studio support.

Seems the BDA hope being big in the rest of the world might make china allow them, but it isn't a free market where BDA can buy off the studios, and the government has a huge problem paying the royalties to japan and elsewhere for another 10 years like they are doing for dvd.

Maybe in a month or 2 someone will drop some sales statistic, no word for either side has me thinking the going is not that good for either

Last edited by The_Doctor; 03-25-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM

Didn't China join the WTO a few years ago? If so, I don't understand how there aren't nonstop WTO judgments against China for all this nonsense.